1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking AMD Sempron

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackdw, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

I have an AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8ghz on a foxcconn 760GXK8MC motherboard. It's socket 754. Old I know, but not too old.

I have 1gb of RAM, a 512mb graphics card. I think the CPU is the weakest point at the moment. But to upgrade the CPU, you usually have to upgrade the motherboard. I was thinking of going dual-core anyway and that isn't socket 754.

Is there anyway I can overclock my CPU safely? I have NEVER done this before so I would appreciate a step-by-step thing....

Thanks
    Jack

2. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

Bump anyone?

3. brite750

brite750

well there really is no such thing as "safely" overclocking always entails some risk of damage to cpu, mb, ram, etc., and that risk goes up dramatically for inexperienced overclockers. overclocking the cpu is basically done by bumping up the fsb of the MB from stock settings, in many cheap mb this is done at your own peril, oc'ing typically requires fairly robust hardware, in the way of mb, ram. Does your MB even allow bumping fsb and can you do the fsb independantly from the agp bus otherwise you are effectively oc'ing the gfx card as well causing it to be under stress. then there is the heat issue depending on the oc level achieved you may very well need an after market hsf for your cpu and gfx card and maybe even your northbridge chipset.
    IMO oc'ing is just not worth it, true with some modest tweaking you can get a little more performance for the money, but it takes a lot of time and effort and in the end for a few extra mhz and considering the extra stress youre putting on your system it just doesnt do it for me.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree completely with brite. It has always been my opinion that if you want a 4000+ cpu, do not buy a 3500 and expect to have it run at 4000 speed.

With that said if you want to attempt this, I would download an app called prime95. I use this to test the stability of systems.
    To start, enter your bios and adjust the fsb [front side bus] up by a few Mzh ie go from 200 to something like 210. Save settings and restart. Run prime95 for at least 1hr. If it is error free, then up the fsb again from 210 to 215-220 and repeat the above. Once you find where prime95 gives errors, you can then back off to a known stable OC or you can lower the ram divider and attempt again. If the ram was giving the error, then it will run without errors at the lower ram divider. Next step [when you get errors] is to up the cpu and or ram voltage.

Note upping voltage is where you can really do some damage to parts.

The first rule of overclocking is not to do it with parts you cannot afford to replace.

5. brite750

brite750

seems like the key thing is to have lots of time on your hands and be patient, dont try to rush. good luck

6. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

I didn't buy a Sempron 3000+ expecting it to go quicker. It was an upgrade mainly so I could get 512mb RAM, since I have upgraded to 1gb.

I upgraded my graphics card recently and now it appears that performance is bottlenecking at the CPU rather than anywhere else. I'm saving up for a new CPU anyway, perhaps a dual core or something. I'm a student, part time job of £9 week ($18) so I'm saving about £200 ($400) for new motherboard and RAM and CPU.

I found something in BIOS about voltages and FSB's... Would that be the first step to this?

7. brite750

brite750

see post #4, dont touch your voltages yet if at all. d/l prime95 and speed fan, P95 for testing your oc settings for stabilty and SF to keep an i on temps and voltages.

also realise that your cpu only has 128kb of L2 cache and there is nothing you can do about that.

8. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

Ok, I'll have a go with P95.

One thing I noticed, I asked a guy in a PC shop what RAM I had, he said DDR400. Although on bootup (BIOS) it says 1gb DDR333. Why is it running at 333mhz and not 400mhz? Does this make much of a difference?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The very first thing would be to read your motherboard manual and become familiar with the bios settings. See if you have a pci / agp lock. If your board has that feature, you would engage the lock.

Now increase the fsb and begin overclocking. Take your time and go slowly.

One other item. ALWAYS remove any overclock before you attempt a bios update or do an install. Once you are finished, you can then return the machine to its overclocked state.

I would not expect too much from a foxconn board. They are lower quality than say an abit or an epox board.

10. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

Ok, I'll investigate my board and try speak to people who have experience with it. I won't mark as solved just yet....

11. brite750

brite750

i guess you can run Everest Home and see what it says under ram, sounds like they gave you PC2700 DDR333 not PC3200 DDR400, and sure it makes a difference, if it didnt why are you even bothering with an overclock in the 1st place;)

12. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

All it says about RAM is that 418mb is free. I'll open it up later and see which stick is 333. Hopefully not the one I bought after...

I would buy 1gb ddr400 but new motherboards have ddr2 don't they?

13. brite750

brite750

in Everst under motherboard>SPD it should give you info on ram, under speed it should say pc3200 (200)

yes any new MB would be DDR2

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice