1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

overclocking an am2 3500+ questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nicknack383, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nicknack383

nicknack383 Thread Starter

i have an am2 socket 3500+ with standard fan and cooling. With 2 x 1gb of ddr2 667 memory

It is currently 2.2ghz and i was wandering what sort of power i could push it to, and how.

I am considering fitting a dual core anyway, but im awaiting asus to email me back with compatible processors.

So, if anyone would like to give me a hand id really appreciate it.

cheers,

Nick

2. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi nicknack
    I just looked at your spec and see that your PSU is only 250W It is probably only just coping with your set up now.If you start O/C or upgrading you will definitely require a more powerful PSU.I recommend you read how to build your own pc in the sticky above this.
    Regards.
    Rex

3. nicknack383

yes thats true, im considering a 620W corsair psu with 2 pci-e outs in the future for when i install a 8800GTX graphics card, will this be powerful enough?

4. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi nicknack
    Yes the Corsair HX620W will run a single 8800 but before you go head with what you are planning there are a lot more things to consider you will need at least 1GB of DDR ram a good sound card, and as you say you intend to fit a duel core cpu you will have to look into cooling
    air flow you will require at least two 120mm fans and a big case as not to interfere with air flow one of the akasa cpu coolers.You will need to do all these things to balance the system.if you do not you will just not get a good result from your new psu and GPU
    Regards
    Rex

5. brite750

brite750

Branded type comps dont allow overclocking, the bios's are limited, you will have to build a real computer, with a real MB. Companies ie Dell, HP, Gateway etc. dont want you messing around with their systems, breaking something and then trying to return for warantee work, so they strip the bios of all of these controls, ie, core voltage, bus freq, etc.

6. Compiler

Compiler

Nicknack383 - is your PC a custom built or a name brand such as Hpaq (who sells lots of AM2/3500 systems), but as I just checked - a Packard Bell, which is a dead brand in the USA, does an odd thing and they TELL you what kind of mobos they install in your system.

Due note that ASUS makes your board, but its an OEM version, they don't make anything simular for end-user. On the ASUS website, it doesn't exist.

Anyways, there is NO OVERCLOCKING on namebrand systems. Other than AlienWare and top-end $3000 gaming Dells and other custom builders.

Your board should support a faster CPU (it does, but the question is, has PBell locked the BIOS to only the 3500?) which case, you may want to look at the AMD AM2 x2 4600CPU.

Considering what you have (A basic PC system, which looks simular Hpaq/Gateway) - you CANNOT fit an 8800GTX in the case... much less ACTUALLY use it to its fullest abilities.

Recommend the GeForce 8800GTS or 8800GS (1/4 cheaper - out in 30~45days) and a 450watt PSU with Active PFC from a respectable company: ANTEC / Thermaltake / Sparkle / Enermax

That's about the best you can do... PS: The 8800gts will have a tight fit, make sure you buy it LOCALLY and confirm it FITS with your mobo and case... but I'm 90% sure it will fit.

Because the 8800 will generate more heat than anything else in that case - make sure THE case has a rear EXAUST fan attached (many PCs with AM2 CPUs and slower Core2 don't use a fan)... Get a vantec or Antec fan for $10 or so.

So make sure you can RETURN parts if things do not work out.
    - 8800GTX gpu = will not likely fit nor come close to its performance max
    - 8800gts will fit
    - 600+watt PSU is not required. 450~500watt will do(with PFC) cost a lot less.
    - add cooling fan or may have to replace with higher-performance version.

Also, if you install all this, take a pic... I'd like to see if it fits and what the inside of a PB system looks like.

7. nicknack383

my ideal system will use the existing motherboard but with these upgrades ( i covered this in a similar post but had no replies so its great ive got some help now :))

same mobo
    same case
    Corsair HX Series 620W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC
    Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 5300/5400 667mhz (fitted)
    Arctic Cooling Freezer64 pro with heat pipe
    AMD Athlon 64 5000+ (2.6GHz) Socket AM2 Dual Core 1MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor (if this will work)
    BFG GeForce 8800GTX

and of course a tempurature gauge and possibly a 7200rpm 160gb slave drive.

if the motherboard did support a higher cpu, would i best off with another case then to put this all in (as stated with a rear exhaust fan) is the form factor the only thing i need to ensure easy fitment?

Thanks for all your help! :D

edit: this is the actual computer i have: http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?sn=049908720142&t=1409

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A temperature gauge won't be too useful, it'll only measure the ambient temperature near the heatsink. You should use a software monitor like Speedfan to measure the built-in sensors.

9. brite750

brite750

as was said youre upgrade options can be very sticky with a branded pc, this MB will not allow any overclocking and also be very careful about upgrading cpu, make sure mb supports your choice.
    make sure your existing PSU is true atx type, wiring at 20pin/24pin must be identical to atx standard.
    as far as your gfx card fitting, that is going to be found out when you buy it, since your case is for micro-atx mb it may be very tight

10. nicknack383

11. brite750

brite750

wow, I cant imagine getting a big gfx card in there, thats a small minitower, no rear exhaust fan, yikes:eek: temperature control may become an issue, i dont even think you'll get any large heatsink in there either, at stock speeds the cpu would probably be ok, and this MB will not oc anyway. you have to remember its not a true Asus MB, these are made just for PB they will most likely have a modified BIOS, not like on an Asus MB that you would buy retail.

12. GripS

GripS

A motherboard and case is pretty minor compared to the cost of the rest of your upgrades. Your better off with a motherboard that has the the ability of overclocking anyway. Otherwise the only way i can see you being able to overclock is by flashing the bios with a modified version. I wouldn't go that route myself unless i was prepared to replace the motherboard. A failed flash will essentially kill your motherboard.

13. brite750

brite750

not to mention that the restore disk wont work anymore

14. Compiler

Compiler

See...?

There any photos showing the enside of your case. But eyeballing and looking at what stas there are - you're buying an expensice PSU for a card that will most likely NOT FIT inside with a questionable mobo.

Your best bet. Sell the system for what its worth - but that money towards BUYING what you need. Youre looking at spending $1350(USD) and make it work with a basic PC that has a value of about $450USD NEW. (Does it already have DDR2-667?, if so - no point in changing the RAM) Sell it for about $300USD.

That'll buy the:
    Mobo = $90~120USD
    Case = $50~100USD (Look at Coolermaster Centerion for $50)
    PSU550 = $120usd (For a single GPU 8800GTX, it will do)
    Drives = $150 (For DVD burner and 400GB HD)
    Misc = $140 (OS / Mouse / Keyboard)
    ----------------------------
    TOTAL = 550

Then get the AMD AM2 4600 - its sometimes faster than the 5000... but at that MUCH money, you might as well get an Intel Core2Duo e6300 and overclock it... it'll smoke AMD.

15. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I am of the understanding AMDs' are already overclocked. Your 2.2ghz is already at 3.5 (3500+). This is how they achieve their performance without the heat. Push them anymore and they become very unstable.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice