1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking athlon 3200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtown_onsite, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite Thread Starter

I'm thinking of trying to overclock my AthlonXP 3200 Barton 400fsb. Mobo- epox 8kra2+, 1gb pc3200 ram.

From what I've read, this is not an extremely overclockable chip. But I should be able to get atleast some gain from it. I was wondering if anybody here has any experience OCing this particular chip.

....and yes, I have plenty of cooling...

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Since that is a KT600 chipset, your AGP bus isn't locked. Because of this, they normally don't OC to over a fsb of 215. Your multiplier is 11, your true speed is 2200mhz. Therefore, if you did by chance get it up to 215 fsb, your true speed would be 2365mhz or a gain of 165mhz.

If you do the math 3200+/2200 * 2365 = 3440mhz or slightly better than 3400+.

As I said, your most likely NOT going to reach this speed. You'd be risking messing up the board/cpu/hardware for a approx 200mhz increase in performance.

It's not worth it. You'd get better performance results focusing on updating or OCing the video card, or setting up a raid aray on it.

3. mtown_onsite

Already have a sata raid0 array. :) Thinking of adding an ide raid1.

Vid card is a radeon 9800se. Any advice for OCing it?

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

5. mtown_onsite

thanks. that should work nicely.

mike

6. rosh325

rosh325

Just wondering, what warnings would you have for using this? I have a sapphire 9600..which has a heatsink but no fan. Right now I can play doom 3 in medium settings..would this kick me up a setting?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice