1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Questions..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .Kai, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. .Kai

.Kai Thread Starter

Just got a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB :rolleyes: I was wondering how would I overclock it so it would be like an ATI Radeon 9800xt "safely" :D

PS:Overclocking is a new thing to me I have never done before. Just heard that 9800 pro can be overclocked to an 9800xt easily "safely to" :eek: .

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I use a couple of different tools. First you need ati tool http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=725

The you need radclocker http://www28.brinkster.com/chrisww1942/download.htm

The programs are pretty self explanatory. Use radclocker or radlinker to set your clocks up to XT speeds. 412 on the core and 365 on the memory.
    Then run ATI tool and have it scan for artifacts. You don't want any at all ever. If you don't get artifacts at xt speeds use radclocker on bootup to set your clocks. You will see the button at the bottom of radclocker to set boot to current.
    You are done unless you want to edit the bios which I did for no apparent reason.
    Ati tool will also boot to XT speeds but ATI tool uses system resources to do it. Radclocker doesn't. Good Luck.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

And don't go overboard. Your card is going to be able to run faster than the speeds I quoted most likely. Don't do it. You will kill it.

4. .Kai

.Kai Thread Starter

So, SAFE is 412 core and 318 memory right?

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It should be. If you have ATI tool you can let it find max core and max memory and then back down 25-30 mhz on each side.
    An XT's speed is 412 core and 365 mem double pumped to 730. The card should do that. Remember each card has its own limits. Mine will OC like a bandit but I choose to take it easy on it.

6. Kalmarath

Kalmarath

And if your 9800pro has an R360 core, you are very likely to be able to flash your card to a 9800XT.. ;)

7. .Kai

.Kai Thread Starter

It turns out my card is a MSI ATI Radeon 9800 PRO just like yours Skivvywaver. :D

8. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

Some people have managed a msi 9800 pro with r360 past 479 on core with no artifacts lock ups those cards a an overclocking monster. also with the latest catilyst they get picked up as 9800xt with no flashing.

9. Kalmarath

Kalmarath

Wow no flashing? That's good.. ;)
    All MSI 9800pros and 9800xts are also known as Medion right? They are all R360 core if i'm not mistaken, anyway i heard that it's cheaper to produce R360 chips than R350?

10. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

r360 are cheaper because r350 are out dated and yes NO FLASHING but its got the speeds of a 9800 uless over clocked. and only the msi 9800 cards from june i think have the r360 core.(Ive been reading up on it because im getting one soon) oh and IM GETTING A A64 3200+ on saturday BOOYA

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah there is a medion bios you can flash to,but don't do it.
    It doesn't take you to XT. If I remember right it takes you to 390 core and 350 memory. Not XT.
    I modded my bios and uploaded it to driverguide.com because the were so many people screaming for the XT bios for it.
    Make sure you have the 360 core IE windows already sees an XT and then download it and flash with it if you actually have to flash the card. I just checked www.driverguide.com to see how it has done. I uploaded it 8-12 and it has been downloaded 209 times with no bad reports.:)
    If you flash DO NOT forget the -s part of flashrom. People do that and then have no bios to flash back to if things go wrong.
    I personally would just OC it with radclocker and leave it be, well no I wouldn't because I didn't. The only thing flashing will do is up the clocks because it already has a clocked down XT bios.

12. pcgamer

pcgamer

How long do you usually scan for artifacts?

13. .Kai

.Kai Thread Starter

whats the newest driver for msi 9800pro? i just installed the driver from the cd. not sure which version driver is it.

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

4.9 is the latest driver. http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
    Don't download the 42 meg one. It has the new control center in it and allot of people have had problems with it. Download the 26 meg driver, it has the control panel and that is all you need.

15. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I usually just start it up and walk away for awhile. If it doesn't artifact in about 1 1/2 - 2 hours I am cool with it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice