1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking Audio problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by InsaneCookies, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InsaneCookies

InsaneCookies Thread Starter

So i overclocked my gpu the other day and this morning i have been getting weird buzzing audio and also some flickers in the map while im playing fortnite. How do i fix this? i really hope i didnt screw up my computer

2. aashimagupta

aashimagupta

Firstly tell me, Is your audio through the MB drivers or via GPU ones.
    You have two variables. Try changing one back to stock and then flip it (OC-GPU + CPU stock, then OC-CPU + GPU stock).

3. InsaneCookies

idk the buzzing is coming through my audio (speakers/earbuds) idk which driver it is and idk how to flip a stock

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Remove all overclocking (if you haven't already done so) and see if the buzzing and flickering stops.

5. InsaneCookies

Removed the overclocking yesterday and the buzzing and flickering still there. Hopefully i didnt damage my pc since the motherboard is not neccesarily a GAMING motherboard

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You may have damaged the Graphics card. How are the speakers connected to the PC ?

7. InsaneCookies

are you serious oh man they said it was extremely safe the speakers are connected with the green audio port

8. InsaneCookies

it doesnt happen all the time only when im like stresstesting or like high settings on a game like fortnite

9. InsaneCookies

please help

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    The graphics card could be ok, it might be getting too hot though, we can check that later.

So we can see what hardware you have in your PC please download and run this and post the text it outputs into your next reply :- https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

11. InsaneCookies

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16306 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 907 GB (116 GB Free); Y: 24 GB (13 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ECS, B85H3-M
    Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is NO safe overclock. ALL overclocking entails some degree of risk. I have a rule; do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace. As long as you understand that concept, overclocking is fine. I overclock everything except my home theater system however IF something fries, there is no one to blame except me.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If your speakers are connected using the green port on the motherboard, you are not using the video card audio. Your overclock may have had nothing to do with the problem. Have you tested temps and voltages? If not, do so; specifically the cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Unfortunately there is no monitoring software on the support page for your motherboard. ECS is not a quality board maker such as asus, gigabyte, or asrock [they have monitoring software for download] You can try using hwinfo64 [free download]

As a very quick test to see if the problem is your motherboard or software/driver, boot the system with a linux live usb. If the audio works fine under linux, then your motherboard is most likely ok. If you have the same problem under linux, you fried the motherboard audio. There are a LOT of linux distros to choose from however I would use either linux Mint or ubuntu. Either one will setup all of your hardware for you. Note linux live does not make any changes to your hard drive; it runs from ram.

14. InsaneCookies

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your temps are ok however it does not show the 12V rail. Try using hwinfo64
    https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
    Your motherboard is not a performance board so you may not be able to monitor your voltages however try hwinfo64. Once you install, open the program and click on monitoring>sensor status. Scroll down to where you see the 12V [should be under motherboard] Take a screenshot and post here; not on a third party site. Most people do not like to click on unknown links. Here is an example of what you should see;

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice