1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking for the first time.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HandleX, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HandleX

HandleX Thread Starter

I got a Dell Dimension E520 with a 1.86hZ Intel Core Duo E6300.

Exact Processor

Ive been reading some articles out on the net about this processor and it seems is gotten up to almost 4ghz OC.

This will be my first over clocking in like 13 years, as when i did it to learn.
    From what ive read and gathered, my main concern is making sure that the CPU stays cool.

Now I have some questions:

1. Is my CPU Heat Sink going to be good enough? Its the biggest ive seen and I couldn't imagine why I would need a larger one.

2. How do i go about OC the CPU? Bios, chipset, 3rd Party, etc. How do I access this?

3. Is there any 3rd part software out there for me to monitor the cpu after everything goes as planned?

4. Whats the risk of OC the CPU?

Good enough heat sink or not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sid6

Sid6

Well... If you don't do it right you can fry the chips, board, ect. The heat sink looks good. I go towww.abitusa.com (overclocking forums) for all over clocking tech. Just me..:D

3. HandleX

HandleX Thread Starter

that site doesnt exsist.
    but thanks.

any more input out there.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all you are wasting your time trying to OC a dell. There are a very few dells that have motherboards that you can adjust the fsb. Almost all of them do not.

Next a dell is shipped with a power supply that is just enough for the system as shipped. When you try and pull more power out of it ie overclocking, you are asking for problems.

In short, if you want to OC, buy a new case, power supply, and motherboard from a quality mfg like abit, asus, etc.

5. Jones

Jones

^^^^ Agreed 100%

6. HandleX

HandleX Thread Starter

im going to take your opinion on this due to me also researching into it more.
    thanks for the input, NO OC to the dell then!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice