1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking FSB causes system to not boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrada98, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrada98

mrada98 Thread Starter

Hi

I'm currently overclocking my system via increasing the multiplier to 4.4 ghz which is great but I have heard overclocking through the FSB gives better single core performance which I need.

I decided to give it a go. I defaulted to default settings, lowered the RAM multiplier to prevent it being overclocked and began to increase the FSB. Unfortunatly increasing the FSB causes the system to not boot. What can be the cause of this?

Mrada

Gigabyte 970a-d3p
    Amd fx-4300
    nvidia gtx 650
    nzxt h440
    cooler master hyper tx3 cpu cooler
    FSP raider edition 650W silver PSU

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you lock the pci bus? If not, you are overclocking your video card, hard drives and anything else connected to the pci bus. Make sure you only increase by a small amount then test for stability using prime95 or IBT; ie go from 200 to 205 and test. Let your stability program run for at least 10~15min. If there are no problems, then restart and up it to 210 and repeat.

I do not know about getting a faster single core speed however you will end up with a faster northbridge however I think the difference would not be much and probably would not be noticeable.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I have two almost identical systems; asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0, fx4350 and 8gig of patriot ram. The only thing different is the pw supply. Both systems run stable at 4.7gig however one of them does not like the FSB changed and the other does not like the multi changed. With the windows system, I run the multi at auto and fsb of 225 which gives slightly over 4.7gig. On the linux system, I run a multi of 23 and a fsb of 205 which also gives a speed of slightly over 4.7gig.

Both are prime95 stable however the method of getting to 4.7 is very different for each system with almost identical parts [except for the pw supply]

Just a side note. The only FSP units I recommend for gaming or overclocking are the ones with the 5yr warranty. The raider line is a lower quality unit with only a 2yr warranty; ok for basic use however not really up to the stress of overclocking.

4. mrada98

mrada98 Thread Starter

Okay thanks for that.

I'm not really sure my BIOS is able to lock the PCI bus, I have known for a fact my RAM does not take overclocking well at all. My video card is already overclocked through EVGA precision, should I remove the overclock settings before overclocking the FSB?

Also to make sure the Ram does not get overclocked I have to lower it below stock speed E.G instead of 1333 MHZ I can only get it to run at 1066 MHZ or something like that, will this have a notible affect on performance?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes.
    Yes.
    Have you tried bumping up vdimm or ram voltage? Just about any ddr3 ram can be run at 1.6V without problems. I would not go much above that [unless your ram is rated for 1.65V or something similar.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I looked at your manual and I did not see an option to lock the fsb or set it to 100.

7. mrada98

mrada98 Thread Starter

Okay thanks, Ill see if I can get the PC to boot by increasing the FSB and the Ram voltage, ill let you know how it goes.

Mrada

8. mrada98

mrada98 Thread Starter

Okay.

I am currently running stable at the following specs
    CPU overclocked to 4.4GHZ via multiplier and FSB overclock (running at 1.28 volts)
    Ram overclocked to 1432MHZ via FSP with a voltage of 1.5V

Temperatures are pretty cool
    CPU= 55.5 degrees under load (59 on socket)
    MOBO= 40 degrees under load
    Chipsets= 55 degrees under load

Do I have room to overclock more?

9. mrada98

mrada98 Thread Starter

*Update my VRM temps are 75 degrees

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You might get it slightly higher however I would not let temps get >60C

Let prime95 run for at least 20min to check that your final OC is stable [and get a good reference on temps]

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice