1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jai98, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jai98

Jai98 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario CQ61-107TU laptop. It has an intel celeron 900 2.2 Ghz processor. What I wanted to know was if I can and is it safe to overclock the processor so I get a frequency of 2.4 Ghz. I only want to overclock the cpu to 2.4 Ghz to reduce risk. Any help at all will be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

First I am wondering why you would want to overclock by such a small margin which is unlikely to produce any noticeable increase in performance.

Secondly, as laptops tend to run a bit on the hot side, overclocking it will further increase the temperature of the CPU and as you cannot easily increase the cooling efficiency in the same way as you can on a desktop PC, I would not recommed it.

If you are doing this for game use then you are even more likely to overheat the CPU.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You almost certainly cannot overclock a laptop. The BIOS is customized by the manufacturer and probably locked down to prevent people from shooting themselves in the foot. Overclocking generates more heat, and that's always a bad thing on a laptop where you cannot increase cooling.

4. Jai98

Jai98 Thread Starter

Yes I understand that it produces more heat and therefor intend to use a cooling fan. Also, yes it is for a gaming as many games I own must have at least 2.4 Ghz. So there is no way of possibly overclocking it?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Game requirement clock speeds rarely refer to just raw clock speeds. There's such a minimal difference between 2.2 and 2.4, that I highly doubt that's your bottleneck. As I said, I'm almost certain there will be no options at all in the BIOS to do any type of overclocking. Check it out for yourself.

6. Jai98

Jai98 Thread Starter

OK, thanks for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice