1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Silico, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

this is my set up:
    P5N32-SLI premium (motherboard)
    Intel core 2 duo
    DDR2 PC2-6400 1GBx2 dual channel. says 1.9-2.0v? don't know if that'll help at all.
    500watt power supply.

Current settings:
    FSB at 1500
    multiplier 7x
    memory ratio: sync mode
    n/b strap cpu as: psb 1066
    [email protected] data rate at 750. (came stock at 800 but due to ratio problems i can't figure out how to get it higher and still work i've tried increasing voltages but it doesn't help)
    PCIe: all three set to 100mhs
    SPP<-> MCP REF Clock: auto

i ran memtest95 for 45 minuets with everything everything passing although the cpu temperature was up at around 80-85C the whole time which probly isn't the best i should probly get a better cooling system right? can anyone help get it up higher? get the RAM to run at 800mghz instead or just any suggestions?

2. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

I recommend you benchmark before and after overclocking, your CPU may actually be performing slower due to throttling, those temperatures will eventually kill your CPU if you leave it like that.

asside from that, what CPU model do you have this will allow us to get a better idea of the overclocking you can handle.

since you are overclocking using the bus speeds, as long as your memory is not being pushed too far you can keep pushing the clock speeds until you cant get past an hour of prime 95, after that back the speed down by about 5MHz, then do a prime 95 test for at least 8 hour

(do this after getting a better heatsink or you will kill your CPU)

3. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

It's a model: F
    Family: 6
    Revision: B2
    (don't know if the other two will help)

So until i can get a better cooling system i should keep it at a slower rate then? I'll do that and see if i can get a better one.

4. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

or did you mean the E6300?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You posted that your FSB [front side bus] is 1.5gig. The normal setting for that cpu is 266mzh which yields a 1066 bus cpu. The fsb is quad pumped or X4. If you really have the fsb set @1.5gig [which I doubt the board will go that high] you need to lower it.

Stock I think your multi is 9 with a fsb of 266 which yields 2.4gig cpu.

6. Silico

Silico Thread Starter

oh ya that was a mistype haha sorry about that yes it came stock at 1066 and i upped it to 1500. the multiplier is only seven it won't go any higher.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice