1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking I5 2400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheFireRodan, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheFireRodan

TheFireRodan Thread Starter

I have a Carmel2 motherboard and an I5 2400 at stock speeds.
    My GPU, a 560 ti, runs at 85-90° under load with spikes to 97, so overclocking that is out of the question. (Also can't upgrade)
    I have a 600w PSU which won't run out any time soon.
    All of the stock coolers are used.
    In the end: looking for any performance improvements in games like Modded Skyrim, Battlefield 4, And GTA V
    I have successfully overclocked a gpu, but have never touched a cpu.
    Stock should be 31x100mhz, with a max of 3.99ghz or something.

First time on this site. Wish me luck.

2. TheFireRodan

I am NOT scared to open up my case. It has a convenient screw that holds 2 halves together

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have a hp computer. There is no overclocking of big box system [with a VERY few exceptions]
    The mb in a hp, dell, whatever does not have the options for overclocking. Even if it did, big box systems do not have mbs that have the heavy duty VRs, heavy duty capacitors, improved chipset cooling, etc that is necessary for overclocking.

In short, not going to happen.

I should add that there are a few software overclocking programs however those are less than worthless. I have a saying; "Attempting to overclock a big box system is an exercise in futility"

4. TheFireRodan

So, would it be worth slowly upgrading my pc (case then mb then cpu then gpu) or just starting fresh?
    My current mb crashes when anything of pci 3.0 is installed.
    My current 1gb VRAM is kind of an issue. I can postpone it however
    My RAM is fine.
    All hardware is from ~2011
    I could probably easily hold out until holidays. But, for example GTA has a stupidly large loading time and microstutters with minimum texture res and at 900p (1080 native), and i'm not sure that'll get better with games after the next wave hits this Christmas.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would see what I could get for your current setup; use that toward your build. If you intend on gaming, it is best to either build your own system OR have a competent shop do the build for you.

One other thing to consider. If you change the mb, you need a new copy of windows. You cannot [legally] use an oem type licence if you change the mb. OEM type lic live and die with the original hardware.

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Even if that wasn't a 'big box' system, the first thing I would be looking at is getting your GPU temperature down. 85-90 may be within within thermal spec, but it isn't good for the card and I wouldn't expect it to be that high. 75 - 80 is probably the top end I would be happy running any GPU at.

I have an old HP system that I up upgraded a bit with a new PSU and a new GPU. My GPU (a GTX570) doesn't get above 72-75C most of the time and I am only using stock cooling. The only thing I have done is installed MSI Afterburner and setup a custom fan speed profile so it is not running at the stock speeds for a given temp, I have set it a bit higher which helps keep the temp down a bit. Downside is it is a bit noisier.

7. jamesx121

jamesx121

FireRodan

What version of Windows are you running ???

8. TheFireRodan

8.1x64 Pro

9. TheFireRodan

Yeah. I have my fan at 50% idle. The idle temp is still 55.
    Fan at 100% doesn't fix it. still hitting 90's sometimes.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The i5-2400 is not really overclock-able regardless of what motherbaord you use. Only the K model processors have an unlocked multiplier for easy overclocking. For non-K models you can only increase the bus speed and that's not a recommended way to overclock the Core i series processors as it makes them unstable anything beyond a few mhz.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice