1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jkrolling, Oct 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Jkrolling

Jkrolling Thread Starter

So I've been trying to overclock my cpu (Intel xeon x3450) and I change the settings in the bios. I have it set to run at 3.2ghz but it isn't doing anything. I don't know what to do so I need help.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

According to this.....your base clock and boost clock is this;
    • Processor Base Frequency2.66 GHz
    • Max Turbo Frequency3.20 GHz

I don't see where you OC'd it. You've just set it to it's boos clock. What type of PC is this....laptop/desktop? Is this a retail OEM PC....like a Dell, HP? If so, what's the make/model number of it?

If this is a laptop: I would reset the BIOS back to default and let the boost kick in when needed.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is a LOT more to overclocking than simply making a bios setting. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

Next I have a saying "Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace" As long as you understand there is NO safe overclock; all overclocking entails some degree of risk.

4. Jkrolling

Jkrolling Thread Starter

Intel xeon x3450
    GTX 970 g1 gaming 4gb gddr5
    Cooler master masterwatt lite 600watt power supply
    HyperX blu 2x4 gb ram
    2x 500gb seagate hard drive
    Gigabyte ga-p55-ud3
    I don't know what air cooler I have

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  5. Jkrolling

Jkrolling Thread Starter

Also I can't even get it to go to its base boost clock. No matter what I try it's stuck at 2.7

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Eureka.....you have a Xeon processor....by default they are not meant to be OC'd. They are designed to be used in a server/work station environments. With that said, I would highly recommend you reset your OC back to default and then reset BIOS back to default. Check your mobo manual for a suitable CPU that you can OC.
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P55-UD3-rev-10#ov

Note: Intel CPU's with a K after the model # is designed for OC'ing.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...orkstation-overclocking-risks-white-paper.pdf

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most [almost all] xeon processors are locked ie you cannot overclock other than by adjusting the bclk. So setting the multi or speed in the bios is NOT going to affect anything. Again the ONLY way you are going to OC is by adjusting bclk or sometimes called FSB.
    Overclocking by bclk is not as simple as adj a multi; if you want instructions, post back. Do understand the rule sited in my first post.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  8. Jkrolling

Jkrolling Thread Starter

it says my cpu has a base boost clock of 3.2 ghz, can i atleaast get it to that? if do how do i do that

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is no easy answer to that question. Turbo boost is predicated on a number of variables;
    1 CPU load
    2 CPU temp AND the temp relative to max temp
    3 Motherboard and how well it regulates vcore or cpu voltage

I also notice on the support page there is a bios update that addresses just this issue; turbo boost. Are you running the latest bios?

10. Jkrolling

Jkrolling Thread Starter

i will have to check later but is there an option in the bios i have to change to enable the boost clock?

11. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

There's a setting in windows under power options to change. There's 3 modes: Power saver, Balanced (recommended), High performance. You can find this in control panel, system/security, power options or windows settings, system, power/sleep....there's a slider to move.

12. Jkrolling

Jkrolling Thread Starter

i have changed this to high performance before but it still maxes out at 2.7

13. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I would reset your BIOS to factory default settings and leave it at that. You're not going to see any performance gain maxing it out at max boost.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

By attempting to OC, you may have turned OFF turbo boost. In any case, make sure you are running the latest bios. If you are, then clear cmos with the clear pins. If you are not running the latest bios, then update; when you update, it should return all bios settings to default.

Note be SURE you read and fully understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect flash can render your motherboard unbootable ie junk. That motherboard has the gigabyte dual bios SO that makes it almost idiot proof to update the bios however do read the procedure.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read your manual?
    Yes, there are settings for turbo boost and it is on page 40 of the online manual. The very first thing you ever do when messing with the bios is to read the manual.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice