1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

overclocking question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolaid, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolaid

coolaid Thread Starter

when i bought my new pc, i thought it was gonna last quite a while, until i realised that future pc games will soon require AT LEAST p4 3.0ghz in order to run properly (unreal3 for example), although my pc is already equipped with 1gbram and gf6600 card, it appears my cpu, which is a pentium 4 clocking at 2.66ghz, will soon become a bottleneck in the future.

when i first built my pc, i ran out of budget and was forced to settle with a bad psu, chasis and old p4 2.6gbz, i was well aware that the cpu is already abit outdated and might not be able to handle future applications, however since i ran out of money i was forced to make do and settle with what i got, i thought it might hold out until games like unreal tournment 3 came out then it'll truely be retired, however within a year of purchase i already find myself facing with the grim reality that my cpu will soon be retired, hence why i'm here today;

-i want to know if it's safe to overclocking my cpu from 2.66ghz to 2.8ghz, since that's wht unreal 3 will require in the future, and if i should, then where can i find the MOST REALIABLE and SAFE SOURCES and guides for performing this operation?

-i heard there is a way to safely "soft" overclock a cpu safely, i rememebr seeing the software before but i forgot it's name, does such software even exsist?

-if a game require 2.8ghz and i only have 2.6ghz, is it possible for the game to run at all? i know each game is different and results varies, but i just wondering, that's all

thanks, so much for the help.

psu250w
    asus mb
    p4 2.6
    1gbram
    gf6600
    80gb hd sata
    dvd rom
    dvd writer
    tv tuner

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Overclocking is NEVER safe or RELIABLE. Software overclocking is even worse and not recommended by most.

Future games will also require a better video card then a Geforce 6000, and DirectX 10 will change how games are designed and you'll need a DX10 card to run them.

For now just run the system as it is, most games will be happy on a 2.6Ghz processor, and there are few games that list anything above a 2.6Ghz processor as the MINIMUM requirement.

3. jmtechserv

jmtechserv

If your motherboard does not support over clocking, I wouldn’t try it. Using a soft
    Overclocker will probably not fool the programs since they take their CPU reading
    from the BIOS.

4. coolaid

coolaid Thread Starter

i see, by the way, i bought my p4 2.6 in FEB 2006, i was wondering if it contains *EM64T* technology, how do i check it?

my asus p5rd1 mobo does support overclocking within bios, but i just want to know if a game requires 2.8ghz and i only have 2.6ghz, will i still be able to run it?

thanks for helping.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Depends on the game, but most will run. Not many games out currently that REQUIRE a processor that fast.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Download CPU-Z and see: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

But 64 bit operating systems, software, and drivers are not ready and 64 bit is best avoided until a later date when support has evolved.

7. cmw2010

cmw2010

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice