1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragonkx, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

I got a intel DX58SO motherboard, with a core i7 920 processor, and 6 gigs of corsair xms3 ram at supposidly at 1600 mhz at 8-8-8-24 at 1.65v , my motherboard is reading it as 1067 mhz at a different latencies, i tried changing it but it crashed my system, for some reason the motherboard comes with a jumper, its supposidly config, normal and reset, havent dealed with this before, but i guess change to config when i want to change and change to normal when i use. any ideas on how to get to 1600 mhz or is that it?

2. avarice

avarice

hmm.. can u tell me what is the fsb speed of ur processor? I guess its 1066.. because core2duos, quad cores and i7s are designed to run with a 1:1 fsb to DRAM ratio.. try overclocking your cpu's fsb to 1600mhz. then override ram's freq to 1600 in bios.. this should result in a stable clock configuration. and for the record... xms3 s can run upto 1600mhz. i guess its effective freq is 1333 but that does not matter... all that matters is, u shd match your fsb to your DRAM to make it work...try it and let me know.

3. avarice

avarice

and go easy with the bold letters mate... :D

4. BG-0

BG-0

On i7 boards, there isn't an FSB setting, only BLCK.
    You'll want to increase the VDIMM(memory voltage) to 1.65V from the BIOS, then go tweaking the RAM to get it running at 1600 MHz effective. And yes, set the jumper to config position.

Did you check beforehand that your board supports the RAM you bought? Even if the specs say it supports DDR3 up to 1600, 1866 or 2000 MHz, it doesn't tell anything about any specific piece of RAM being fully compatible.

5. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

well, sorry about the bold txt, i did a copy an past of the motherboard model and it was bold, and i just went with it. anyways, yes my motherboard supposidly says it can support up to 1600 mhz and yes and i did think that for the new i7 motherboards the fsb settings were removed. i'll try and see what hapens.

6. BG-0

BG-0

I already said in the post above that the speed is not what determines compatibility. For example, I'm pretty sure the specs say that the DIMM slots support a VDIMM of 1.5 V. So it's not unconditionally compatible with 75% of any DDR3 1600 RAM.

7. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

yes i understood that but couldnt i just overclock the voltage to 1.65 for compatablity, there is an option for that

8. BG-0

BG-0

It's not guaranteed to work however much you meet the requirements in theory.
    It is highly probable that the RAM will work if you raise the voltage to 1.65 and set the clocks and timings manually to what they're supposed to be.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice