1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking Ryzen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crjdriver, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator Thread Starter

I thought I would share some experiences regarding overclocking AMD’s Ryzen processor.

Currently I am running an Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI board [it replaced an asrock Taichi board] I have to say I am impressed with the asus. With the Taichi, I could never get my 1700X above 3.9gig even with vcore raised to 1.47V. With the asus, 4.0gig with voltage at 1.37; not bad at all. IMO vcore should be kept as close to 1.35V as possible just for longevity of the processor. This is a personal preference on my part.

Overclocking Ryzen does require a little more work than Intel however Ryzen has incredible performance. Just to give an idea of the multicore performance, I have two personal systems; an Intel 7600K [overclocked to 4.5gig and a Ryzen 1700X [overclocked to 4.0gig] On single core benchmarks, the Intel has a slight advantage [not a big surprise since it is clocked higher] On multicore benchmarks, the Ryzen system blows the Intel out of the water. Literally doubling the cinebench cpu score. On Realbench, Ryzen wins again by a 35% margin.

Now on to the actual settings for the overclock. I elected to overclock using Pstate settings rather than setting a fixed multiple. Using the Pstate settings, the cpu AND vcore will downclock when under a light load. The feature will save on energy use, result in cooler running, and reduced fan noise.

For my overclock, I set FID [Frequency ID] @160 and DID [Divisor ID] @8. This results in a 4.0gig processor speed. Do understand that most [if not all] motherboards will up vcore when you overclock. You have an option to set cpu voltage ie vcore on Auto or Manual. Selecting Manual will give you some other options; fixed voltage or offset +/-. I use the offset method and a negative or minus voltage. Some experimenting here will be necessary to achieve the desired voltage. Just about all high end motherboard mfg will have monitoring software available on the support page. Use this program rather than something like hwmonitor. You will get more accurate data from the purpose designed monitoring program.

Overclocking is NOT an exact science; it is a LOT of trial and error, testing, and retesting. Always test your overclock with one or more stability programs. I like prime95 however there are a lot of others; Cinebench [which will also test video] Realbench, or OCCT. You can even run IBT [Intel burn test] on an AMD.

Ryzen does tend to get warm when running well above stock speed. SO you are going to need a high performance cooler. For a moderate overclock, the coolermaster 212 is fine. If you intend on trying for above 4.0 with a 1700X or above 4.4 with an 1800X, you are probably going to have to go liquid cooling. Coolermaster also makes some pretty decent AIOs that are easy to install.

No overclock is worth anything unless it is stable. Run the stress test/stability test of your choice for at least 1hr. Some people like to test longer however I get bored.
    Remember just because these settings worked for me, does NOT mean you are going to be able to achieve the same level of performance. You may get better or you may end up with a lower overclock.
    One more item. There is NO safe overclock. All overclocking entails some degree of risk. Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace.

Here is a screenshot of the asus monitoring program along with a chart showing the FID values and the corresponding speed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice