1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking to 6GHz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpiDoL, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

I have:

AMD Sempron Processor 2600+, ~1.6GHz
    1024MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600
    Realtek AC97 Audio

How can I overclock this to 6GHz? Or do I have to buy a new processor?

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Hilarious.

3. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

Nice. But how do I do it?

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I think there is a thread somewhere here about boiling the CPU to make it faster. I remember it didn't work though.

5. Compiler

Compiler

I don't think anyone has a 5Ghz overclocked cpu, much less 6ghz available on the consumer market...

If you have a NAME brand system (HPAQ, gateway) - there are NO OC options. Otherwise, you can OC the bus a bit and maybe hit 1.8ghz or so before the system become unstable.

What KIND of system do you have? Motherboard or name brand - if its a 939 or AM2 socket CPU - (There is a free program that can tell you) you can pop in a dual-core AMD64 CPU up to 2.8Ghz.

6. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer Inc.
    Model: K8N

7. Compiler

Compiler

k8N what... there are about 20 versions of the K8N. What KIND of CPU do you have, socket 754, 939 or AM2? Did you build this? But I'm guessing its 754 or 939... If its 754 - there are almost no options. $80 for an AMD64-3200(754) or $250 for a AMD64 X2 4800 (939).

What does the ASUS manual say?

8. titanium_soul

titanium_soul

i was shocked 2 c my m8s sempron chip reach a gig lol

9. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

Forget it.

10. Compiler

Compiler

We're not trying to be jerks. You asked how to OC your CPU - but you were way off anything possible and asked about upgrade. Nobody can recommend anything for you if you cannot tell us what you have. AMD made Sempron 2600s in 3 different types. Each one has its "MAX" depending on which one you bought. They all perform the same, but the newer ones are more upgradable to NEW tech CPUs.

You have a good ASUS motherboard, but the model will tell us which CPU socket you have.

Here is a CPU chart - the lowest CPU on the chart is AMD64-2800. A Sempron 2600 would be about 30% slower. I made these red for you. The fastest possible upgrade if you have a 939CPU is the FX60... kind of expensive.

(forgot to add the chart)
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=509&model2=464&chart=166

Graphic performance is with a higher end card.

11. titanium_soul

titanium_soul

oops i mean 3 GHZ and the fastest u can get for a 939 board is an fx 62 but they are rare as gold dust

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice