1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking using nTune

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spudy12, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

I have been trying to overclock my dell xps 720 using ntune (latest one) and have had no success.
    i decided to try the automatic tuning as this is my first time at overclocking , but everytime it starts, does one test and crashes the software, then wont automaitcally restart or anything like it says it should?

What am i doing wrong?

Many thanks

Spud

2. onca

onca

First of all, what video card do you have? Some of them tolerate overclocking better than others.

Let's say you had 2 identical video cards. And by identical I mean the same model. Chances are that you wouldn't get the same results from both of them. One will overclock better than the other. What I'm getting at is, perhaps your video card can't take it.

Are there any artifacts when it's doing the testing? Does the test crash only the application or does it make your computer freeze? If the latter, then it's normal. Speaking from my experience, your computer will freeze if you over-overclock your video card, while it restarts if you over-overclock your RAM.

Anyway.. take this with a grain of salt since the last time I overclocked something was way over a year ago. Oh, and you might want to try an application called GPUTool. And make sure that your video card is not overheating.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    first thing to do is find out if the Dellis able tobe overclocked. Usually Factory made (Dell, HP/Compaq.....) are not possible to overclock. Which would make the nTune fail.

4. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

I have the nvidia GTX295 which i am pretty sure is able to be overclocked. And the card is not overheating as i monitor the temps with speedfan and the maximum it gets to is about 95.

It is not the computer that freezes or hangs, the ntune application just crashes and windows says its not responding. If i leave it for hours nothing will happen and the application won't come back up (ie start responding).

I have the dell xps720 and lts of people have overclocked this before. I can alter things manually if i wanted, it just won't run the auotmitc configure.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I misunderstod what you were doing, I thought you were trying to overclock the system in general.

6. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

No problem, but any idea why the program crashes and will not run?
    I have UAC and all that disabled?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice