1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JediKnightr, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JediKnightr

JediKnightr Thread Starter

Hey guys! I havent been on here much lately (sorry, I've got a life! Oh... wait... nevermind...) but Im having some overclocking problems. I have an Athlon XP 2100+ (5th most overclockable chip to date according to Maximum PC) and I cant raise the FSB even a megahert above default. That's sad. The only 2 cards I have installed are a GeForce2 MX 400 in the AGP and a Firewire card in the ACR. The RAM is all DDR 266.

Help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could be the RAM.

What happens when you try to overclock?

How are your temps?

3. rmay635703

rmay635703

No that isn't the 5th most overclockable chip if its a palamino.

Is that a Tbred or palamino?

If its a good ol palamino it won't overclock more than 50mhz above stock (the palamino xp2100+ is the worst overclocker since the cyrix pr200) if its a Tbred you should be able to go quite high.

Also what mobo?

Cheers

4. JediKnightr

JediKnightr Thread Starter

My motherboard is a Leadtek WinFast nVidia CR18D/G (nforce2 IGP).

When I try to overclock it, I go into the BIOS, bump the FSB up a megahert, save changes, and exit. Upon reboot, there is no video, no keyboard, etc.

Do you think it could be the ACR Firewire card? I'll also try the RAM...

5. rmay635703

rmay635703

Honestly I think you might have a xp2100+ palamino processor instead of a tbred, which basically doesn't overclock

What is your voltage? 1.6v, 1.75v? If its higher you definately have a palamino and are probably sunk (you could try upping the voltage .05 and see though), if not remove the unnecessary PCI card and try again.

My guess is it must be something with ram or mobo itself if you have a tbred processor and you can't overclock, Leadtek WinFast nVidia CR18D/G should go above OK, you might want to check what it sets your agp speed at when you move up the bus though
    I know that my pcchips motherboard won't go a smidge above 133/266mhz fsb without locking up (though its supposed to go higher supposedly). It might be the case here too.

Go through the motions I guess
    Cheers

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Are you letting the bios determine the memory settings? It could be that the bios is trying to set the memory at 333 and your useing 266 memory. If the memory won't hack it at 333 sometimes you wouldn't even get a beep code. The nforce boards are very finicky about the ram if your overclocking, especially using dual channel. A bios update may help if you haven't already updated it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice