1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OverClocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by erkansus, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erkansus

erkansus Thread Starter

hmmm whenever i work with a computer or leme rephrase that whenever i worked on a computer the bios had a built in overclocking feature where you just inputted a multiplier number and it would apply it, recently i bought a acer aspire 5100 and i tried overclocking it because the cpu is at 2.0 ghz right now and it has 2gb ram i want to overclock it to like 2.66ghz and 3.0ghz if it can go up to that much. i have adequite cooling meaning it wont over heat. well i checked the bios and there was no spot to enter a multipier just gives u the cpu name and the cpu's speed can anyone tell me if theres a diagnostic tool or something that i can download and run if theres like app i need to install or something or is it that this mobo can't overclock? i really need to overclock cause its got 256mb of shared vid card 2gb ram and vista ultimate on it someone help please?

2. erkansus

erkansus Thread Starter

bump help please?

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

As it stands, you cannot overclock I fear. Laptops tend to operate closer to their upper limit, due to their nature. Acer, like most other laptop manufacturers, do not want you to overclock, as if it goes wrong there is a tendenct to RMA, and should o/c be th eproblem they will not carry out reoairs. As a result, the BIOS is not a normal mobo BIOS, but an Acer one- effectively they remove any setting that can modify the internal settings of the laptop at source. I would suggest NOT flashing the BIOS, as there is often a tattoo system on th ecomputer- the BIOS and hard drive will each contain a string of information hidden away , and every time th elappy boots, it looks for these. If they are not there, you will not get into the OS. The upshot is that if you flash the BIOS to overclock, you lose th eOS completely, and short of restoring the previous, nothing works. I know, I tried it on a PB, and had horrendous problems.
    aer are just protecting the interests of the majority of users- most people do not need to o/c, not do they have experience to do it correctly. Changing BIOS settings always carries a risk, so it makes sense to remove them
    IF you really, really want to reflash, you could, and it may give you oc settings, but again these are rarer on lappys then desktops. You would also possibly need to acquire a new OS, ansd then locate drivers dor everything on the computer, again with lappys a notoriously hard thing to do in many cases.
    Having sais that, Acer appear to have good driver support here

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_5100.html

so it may be possible.

Hope thast helps a bit.

4. erkansus

erkansus Thread Starter

darn i really need to oc this thing everythings good on it cept the cpu, well im gonna try getting a new computer once i get my paycheck from a website i made, leme see i was planning on spending 1500 outta the 3200 for a new desktop.... i hope the one i buy oc's lol

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/624177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice