1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by conflict47, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conflict47

conflict47 Thread Starter

I just purchased an Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 at 2.40 GHz and I'm hearing that a lot of people are getting excellent results when they overclock it. To be honest, I've never overclocked my CPU before and wanted to see if any of you can help me out so that I don't fry my processor by guessing.

Motherboard: ABIT IB9

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If you are running on air, you can go from th estock 2.4 up to the region of 2.8, maybe higher. I run on w/c and cn get 3.5 happily. As far as the o/c goes, you just need to go to BIOS and increase the fsb a little at a time, and make sure the system runs properly. generally if you increase FSB by 10 or so, and keep going slowly, you will find a point that works for you. Make sure you monitor temps for the CPU, and test after each clock to make sure its running ok. What I have done before, to save time, is take it up a small increment at a time, and just see if win boots. If it does, check temps are not too high, and every 3rd or 4th clock run 3dmark or something similar. This gives a good idea of whether its fairly stable. Once I reach a point that seems to be limiting, then run a few more tests to stress the system and make sure all is good.
    BUT... dont clock if yo uare not prepared to kill your CPU< GPU< mobo, memory, and PSU, along with hard drives for good measure. I dont mean that you will lose everything, but that if you clock and it goes wrong, all warranties are void, and you can end up with a pile of junk that used to be a pride and joy. :)

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The very first rule of overclocking; Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace. Even experienced overclockers occasionally fry parts. In addition OC will void any warranty.

If you understand the above and want to proceed, then we can go ahead.

Before doing anything, read your manual. Most high end boards have a pci lock so you can just OC the cpu without OCing the rest of the system. Find this and set it to 100. Now find your ram speed and lower it to the next lower speed. The ram speed will come back up when you up the fsb.

Once you have these settings set in the bios, adj your fsb up by 10~15 save settings and restart. Now run prime95 on the system for at least 15~20min to check stability. If the system is not prime95 stable, it is NOT stable. Once you are sure the system is stable, repeat the upping the fsb. Again check with prime95. Keep doing this until you find where you get errors in prime95. Once you find an error, you have a choice; up the Vcore [cpu voltage] OR backoff to a known stable OC.

Note you may need to lower the ram speed again depending on how much you up the fsb. Once you find where the cpu gives errors, you can backoff to a known stable OC and then up the ram speed. When doing this I would increase Vdimm [ram voltage] from the stock 1.8V to approx 2.0V.

Doing it this way you OC one part at a time and are not confused by trying to OC both ram and cpu at once.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice