1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cheekiat, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheekiat

cheekiat Thread Starter

I got a lil information on how do i overclock on my pc :
    http://www.cyb3rglitch.com/tutorials/Overclock-CPUs-RAM/
    and i noticed that, they are actually overclocking with dual core & i got quad core, so im unsure about overclocking. hope you guys could help me to overclock my pc

My spec :

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8600 @ ( 2.50ghz 4 CPUs), ~2.5ghz
    Ram : 5.00gb
    Graphic Card : Nvidia Geforce GT120
    Window Vista 64bit , System Pack 1.

2. draconis123

draconis123

3. cheekiat

cheekiat Thread Starter

Oh okay thanks, do you have a tutorial on how to overclock?

4. draconis123

draconis123

I'm guessing you never overclocked before, right?

So maybe you should go here.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1804&page=1

It has all the instructions needed to start, just read through the pages. But remember to be careful. Burning your cpu is a great way to ruin your day.

Have fun and let me know of your results.

5. cheekiat

cheekiat Thread Starter

yes, i never overclocked before :p

6. cheekiat

cheekiat Thread Starter

Uhm, i read on the internet that my Acer aspire M5800 bios is locked, is there anyway i could overclock w/o entering BIOS ?

7. draconis123

draconis123

Without entering the Bios, of course there is but its not a permanent fix. It's called Nvidia ntune. Since you have an Nvidia graphics card when you right click you should have the Nvidia control panel option.

After installing ntune you can access performance settings. The only thing is you will have to save a profile and load it each time you turn on your pc because it loads the defaults with every restart.

It sounds complicated but its not. Just double clicking the profile will load it in a matter of seconds.

Here is the link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

Good luck!

8. cheekiat

cheekiat Thread Starter

Uhm, is there anything other than Ntune? cause the review on ntune is really bad ><

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First read the guide.

BTW one of the first parts of the guide is; Do not ask about overclocking your dell, hp, etc.
    Next software overclocking is useless. If you really have to overclock, then you are going to have to buy hardware that allows you to overclock.

10. draconis123

draconis123

True, but sometimes when you don't have access to the hardware then you use software such as people with laptops.

Anyway, I used ntune for a long time and never had a problem. So its really all about personal opinion. Try it out, what do you have to lose? If you don't like it uninstall it and try something else.

11. prunejuice

prunejuice

Your data.

12. draconis123

draconis123

Using ntune? I don't think so. I'm not talking about extreme overclocking, I'm just talking about the actual software. Used it for years and have never had a problem with it.

13. prunejuice

prunejuice

I meant software overclocking in general, which I agree with cjdriver, is fairly useless.
    Laptop overclocking is even more useless than that.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Agreed. Attempting to overclock a laptop is like walking around with a blinking neon sign asking for problems, lost data, lost work, overheating, etc.

15. cheekiat

cheekiat Thread Starter

After googled forawhile, i tried to download a few programs to OC , but i need my motherboard pll. which i could not find it @@;.
    Any help please?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/888418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice