1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheat problems (or maybe BIOS I don't know)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ErikTheRed99, Feb 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ErikTheRed99

ErikTheRed99 Thread Starter

To start off, I don't know much about computers. I bought a computer tower that was built for roughly $750.

My problem started about a year ago. Sometimes when gaming my computer fan turns up to 11, my screen turns black, and my computer restarts. It sometimes happens when I bump the computer of the floor shakes and even happens when my computer is literally doing nothing just sitting with the desktop open. It is a tower not a laptop. I took it into a repair shop and they told me it was an issue of c: drive being full, so I have cleared out about 15GB of space, and it still happens. My dad has told me it could be my AMD processor and that those often overheat. It may not even be a fan, it is just loud whirring.

Also kinda unrelated to the current problem but still related to my computer. My Blu-ray disc player has a problem. I have unplugged the drive because it used to open when I started my computer. When I would try to close it it would open again.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

To check if it is a overheating problem, download coretemp and check that the cores' temperatures are not over 80C.

As for your blue ray drive problem, go to Control Panel > Device Manager . Find the blue ray driver, right click and choose Update.

3. ErikTheRed99

So it doesn't seem to be an related to heat at all. I just had it shut off at 20 degrees Celsius after a previous shutoff. It hasn't went over 50 at all. After it shuts off it seems to take some time to cool down to below 20. Again this inference is based off my limited knowledge and my assumption that the temp sensor even works correctly.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

The temperature sensor is inside the CPU. IF it isn't working then it is a CPU problem. Which is rare. This means we should look at software causes of your shutdown. What program was running when it shutdown ?

5. ErikTheRed99

Well pretty much any program can be running. When it shut off yesterday I was playing My Summer Car and the temp was steady at 40C for hours. It then shut off on the desktop with no programs open at 20C. Today it shut off while I tried to play the Hunter Call of the Wild. Pretty much any other program does it. It even does it when I play Unreal Tournament, the one from 1999.

Edit: I seems to dislike fullscreen programs. Shutoffs still happen in windowed mode but less often. It also seems to cooperate a little more with core temp installed but that might just be coincidental.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  6. lunarlander

lunarlander

What temperature monitoring program were you using ? Uninstall it and see. Because a lot of people use core temp and it is good and all you need to temp monitoring.

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapter, right click on your graphic driver and choose Update

7. ErikTheRed99

Do you think installing a new processor would help? I have the money for one. Right now I have the AMD FX-4130 Quad-core. My graphic driver isn't finding any updates, and I don't know what else to do.

8. replay

replay

Sounds like a heat issue
    What brand of motherboard.... go to their webpage for the Mobo model, any software for monitoring temps?
    Have u cleaned out internals with canned air
    Maybe new thermal paste for the cpu
    Have u tried leaving the side cover off while gaming
    Also it’s always good to have a spare power supply on hand (a decent one) to see if any power issues

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice