Overheated Display Port to HDMI Adapter/Converter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hhannam

Dick
My ThinkPad laptop computer does not have an HDMI port, so in order to connect my computer to my HDTV I use an adapter plug which accepts an HDMI cable male plug (from my TV) and then plugs into my a/v display port. I've gone thru a few of these adapters because for some reason they tend to develop connection problems, like loss of the audio portion, or whatever. The current plug is shorter than my previous ones and less likely to get bent, but all of a sudden I've lost the audio transfer again and when I went to unplug and replug the adapter to make sure the connection was secure I found it was very hot. I don't recall it ever being that hot before....some heat, yes, but this was very hot. Not a good sigh....eh?

When this same audio loss has occurred in the past, unplugging and replugging the adapter has worked, turning the TV off and back on again has solved the problem on some occasions, other times it took restarting the computer. And then on some occasions the loss of TV audio was due to my receiver input setting getting accidently altered (I run my TV audio thru my receiver and into a Dolby surround sound speaker system). None of these remedies have worked this time however.

In this case I'm more concerned about the overheating issue than my loss of audio transfer. Can anyone with good technical knowledge comment on this high heat matter....should I trash this plug immediately?....can damage be done here with an overheating plug, or is some heat to be expected as normal?

Triple6

Rob
If this is the only one that has gotten hot I would indeed get rid of it.

As for the other issue, since this is a Lenovo Thinkpad I would run the Lenovo System Update utility and download any BIOS and driver updates it has: https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/documents/tvsu-update
You can skip any ShareIt or Solution Center updates if you want.

hhannam

Dick
If this is the only one that has gotten hot I would indeed get rid of it.

As for the other issue, since this is a Lenovo Thinkpad I would run the Lenovo System Update utility and download any BIOS and driver updates it has: https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/documents/tvsu-update
You can skip any ShareIt or Solution Center updates if you want.

I have felt some heat in these adapter plugs before, but certainly never this much. Thanks also for the suggestion and link for the Lenovo updates. I completed that immediately. I've ditched the adapter in question and sent off an inquiry to the seller about any warranty since it was only a couple weeks old....but I'm not holding my breath.

Triple6

Rob
Are you buying quality adapters or cheap ones of eBay? Cheap ones suck.

hhannam

Dick
Are you buying quality adapters or cheap ones of eBay? Cheap ones suck.

You guessed it...I bought some cheap ones on eBay. How much should I pay and where do you recommend buying them?...If you can make that suggestion. Thanks again

hhannam

Dick
Try a SIIG, StarTech, VisionTek.

Here's one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158199

Or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812996111

Maybe try an Active DP adapter instead of a Passive one, the Active ones have chips in them to do conversions.

I certainly get your drift and basically agree with so, so I'll continue to scour through the brands you mentioned. There is one I'd like you to take a peek at on eBay that is unbranded, but does claim to have a chip in it ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261995794821?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82 ) It's about $8 but I suspect that you would consider this as still falling into the "cheapo" range and of a quality not worth considering. Thanks again Triple 6

Triple6

Rob
I tend to avoid things that are priced too cheap, there's a reason they are priced considerably cheaper and it's rarely just because it's just a great deal, it's usually because they are junk.

hhannam

Dick
I tend to avoid things that are priced too cheap, there's a reason they are priced considerably cheaper and it's rarely just because it's just a great deal, it's usually because they are junk.
Gotchya!

hhannam

Dick
This is an FYI message......I was bidding on a new Star tech DP2HDS active adapter when I decided to to punch it into Amazon to see some reviews and came up with some interesting info......."However, despite the description on the product, this adapter is apparently only intended for use with computer monitors. NOT LCD or LED TVs. I found this out the hard way after communicating with technical support when running the adapter from my LCD TV to my video card was resulting in significant CPU spiking, performance issues and loss of responsiveness. It should function for you if you're attaching a computer monitor, but avoid it if you're trying to add a TV as an additional display to EyeFinity."

I am using mine to tranfer to an LED HDTV so despite good quality and higher cost there are obviously other factors to consider. Thought you may want to tuck this tidbit away for future reference.

I've also noticed that apparently the "active" feature can apply to either the Display plug or the HDMI end of the adapter. Don't know if it makes any difference so long as the conversion is made.

Thanks ever so much for all your help. I truly appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online