1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheated now dead???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AethJackson, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AethJackson

AethJackson Thread Starter

a few weeks ago my PC, which was asrock 960gc-gs fx + FX 6300 12GB ram and a RX 570 8Gb and a +600Watt Thermaltake TR2, died while gaming. It sits off the floor about 3 feet next to my desk. While playing Everspace I started to feel heal on my mouse hand. I reached over and the case was HOT really hot. Almost too hot to touch. I shut down the pc and pulled the side off. Like an idiot I reached in and felt things. video card was hot, the cooler on the motherboard was so hot it burned my finger when I touched it. My cpu cooler wasn't all that hot, but it was hotter than normal. nothing was clogged with dust bunnies, no blankets on the heat sinks. let it cool off for a few ours and tried to power on. the only thing that happened was my case fans and cpu and gpu fans spun. but no post, nothing was working. I put the ram in another pc I have here and ram prime 95 for about 6 hours and it reported no errors. and hard disks and all periferals seem to work fine in this other pc. I sent the power supply to Thermaltake for warranty, they said it sounded like a ground fault. should my pc have shut off before overheaing? Im of limited income and don't know if my botherboard and cpu are fixable. theres no beeps or anything when I try to turn it on. any ideas why this happened?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If your motherboard has that option AND if it was enabled, then yes. Generally you have to set a temp at which the board will shutdown OR sound an alarm.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice