1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating? Bad Mobo? Bad PSU? Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ckburnham, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ckburnham

ckburnham Thread Starter

First of all, thanks for looking and attempting to help me with my computer. I GREATLY appreciate it!

About a week ago my computer monitor would start to not get any input from the computer and then the computer it self would shut itself down. It would not do it all that often -- only when the computer has been on for a little while. However, now the computer rarely stays on for more than five mintues before it just continually restarts itself. What will happen is that I will turn the computer on and it will start to boot-up and then just restart itself and do the same thing over and over again. At first I thought it was an overheating issue so I replaced all the fans in my computer. The same thing happened. I then replaced the power supply unit with a more powerful one. Eureka! The computer worked like normal for about a week. Now it's up to its old games of just turning on, restarting, and repeating the process until it finally just shuts itself off.

So does anyone have any ideas what it could be? My heatsink is a really crappy small one that I bought a few years back with my processor. I suppose that could still be an issue. I was going to replace the heatsink as well but I don't know how to remove it from my Socket A mobo! It's the kind of hookup that latches itself to a support around the processor and I cannot get it out. I try to push down and out on the latches but it puts too much stress on the mobo. Is there a special tool to remove it?

Thanks for the help again!

Edit:

I forgot to add that after replacing the fans and the power supply my processor speed was running extremeley hot! IT was running something around 80-88degrees C. accoring to the Health Status in Bios! I took off the fan on the heatsink and cleaned that out as well as removed nearly all the dust inside the computer case and it only ran a few degrees cooler. Just trying to add whatever I can to try and get the best results. I don't want to run the computer anymore until I find some sort of a fix. I think it is running far too hot.

2. happyrck

happyrck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice