1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

overheating CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by x_saosin_x, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x Thread Starter

my cpu keeps overheating and then turns off,
    i am thinking about tomorrow sending it back as it is only 4 months old.

i dont know why it overheats, i could be just using it normally, with ie open and msn and media player and it will turnoff.
    or i could be playing counter strike and it would turn off.

does anyone know of any common problems why they overheat?

i have enoughf resources, like

480wat p/s
    1 gig ram
    256mg gfx
    280gig hdd.
    4 case fans
    full tower case

or could it be thats whats making my cpu going outa control?

well if i cant find a solution tomorrow i will try and send it back.

cheers

2. bonk

bonk Banned

how do you know its overheating?

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the computer is that new, and you have the warranty int act still, take it back to where you bought it, explain the problem to them, let them fix it. That will preserve the warranty that is in force and should get your computer where it is supposed to be.

Like was asked if it is just shutting down, how are you determining it is due to over heating instead of a software problem?

4. x_saosin_x

i have suprtep utility which came with the motherboard ad it has tempratures and it hangs around 60-70 oC just before it turns off and the threshold is 70 oC, so it is deffantly overheating.

i bought a motherboard bundle , (motherboard, cpu/heatsink fan, and ram) so ill send that back then.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That temp is about twice what an amd64 should run at.

Something is very wrong; either your monitoring software is incorrect OR you have a failed cpu fan, improperly installed hsf, etc.

6. valis

valis Moderator

check the obvoius. Is the processor fan running? Are you runnign it with any covers off? Did you build it yourself, and if so, did you add the thermal paste?

7. x_saosin_x

i have a window pannel so i could see the fan was spinning, but i have the side off at the moment.

the motherboad already had the cpu and fan installed on it.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That does not mean it was done correctly. If in fact it is running that hot, you have a problem with the hsf. Since you can see the fan running, I would assume the heatsink is not installed correctly.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/449139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice