Solved Overheating HP Elitebook

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rumi

Hi Everyone,

my laptop is running hot, fans noisy, sometimes shutting down, and new battery seems to lose charge quickly.

Recently upgraded RAM to 8Gb from 4Gb but was noticing a problem even before that.

Here is the sys info.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20121025221733.000000+540
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (9 GB Free); E: 1 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 172A, ver KBC Version 30.35, s/n CZC03736F7
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - f, s/n CZC03736F7
Antivirus: None

TIA for any help or ideas :)

Rumi

plodr

Liz
Computer specs: https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-el...20m-windows-7-pro-4-gb-ram-250-gb-hdd-series/

Battery is 55Wh, 6 cell part # is: 486296-001
Source: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02292004

What does the "new battery" have printed on it? If it loses charge quickly, I suspect it is not the correct replacement for your elitebook 8440p. Or there could be a problem with the charger.
(For me: I'll go here https://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/how-to-calculate-laptop-battery-life-s/41950.htm
to calculate the runtime once I know what is printed on the replacement battery)

Don't use the laptop and let it charge to 100%. Remove it from the electric outlet. How long does the battery last?

Fans run to keep it cool. It shuts down because it gets too hot. Have you made any attempt to clean out the inside or keep the laptop resting on a cooling fan?

Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (9 GB Free)
Your hard drive is overcrowded too. You shoul remove at least 10 more GB of files.

rumi

Hello Liz, thank you for replying,

Thanks for the link to the support page, I'm not sure if you want me to do anything with it ?

I was careful to get a battery that was compatible, I even checked with the old battery that it had the same 10.8v rating and that they were both Li-ion batteries. I will attach a pic of the battery specs. The previous battery I bought (about 3 years ago) was a cheap one and quickly deteriorated to less than an hour of charge. The previous one still works and witth power the laptop for about 30 mins give or take, I can put it back in if you want me to test it like that.

This time (1 month ago) I bought a more expensive one (no guarantee its any better I know) which has more cells and is a bigger battery unit. I was hoping to get about 6-8 hours out of it. At first it will say 100% charged but has no time remaining estimate. then it will say 97% and 3hours 15, but soon will say 78% and 1:30, so it is recalibrating it's estimates lower and lower. I would be surprised if I have ordered an incompatible battery.unnamed.jpg

The charger on the other hand is a cheap, unsatisfyingly light, plasticy one which sometimes gets hot and I wouldn't be surprised if it was causing problems. However, I have had it a long time and the laptop has only been getting hot recently, and it does have an HP logo on it suggesting it is a genuine HP product, but that may have been copied in some wicked country with lax copyright and intellectual property laws.

I will charge the laptop and leave it with the lid open on the desktop page and let you know how long it lasts.

I have not attempted to clean it much, when I opened the keyboard to replace the RAM board a couple of weeks ago, I had a bit of a blow but it was not overly dusty around the fan and heat sink. A couple of sites have suggested getting the vacuum cleaner brush on it, but I think I have already ruined an old desk top by cleaning it with a vacuum cleaner, and I'm wary of doing that.

I have been trying to free up space, most of it is taken up by apple product backups via itunes. I hear what you are saying and I understand the concept of thrashing when memory is short or fragmented. (I'll run defrag - just for fun ??) but this PC has had less than 5GB free memory for the last few years, I have been juggling things in and out, and have not had heat issues before. I will keep trying, maybe buy a new portable hard drive and direct ipad backups to it and delete the old ones from here.

Anyway thanks again, I guess thats more background info than you want, I'll send you the result of the time trial tomorrow.

Thanks,

Rumi

rumi

oh, and I have never used a cooling fan. Does this make me a bad person. ??

plodr

Liz
You don't need to defrag. Windows from 7 on has a defragger built into it and is scheduled to run once a week. I have defragged a computer since 2009 and whenever I check any of them, they don't need to be defragged.

The support site actually lists 4 different batteries
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02030599#AbT3

Going to the site I posted for me 10.8 V x 7800 mAh then /1000 = 84.24 Wh

Does your charger say 90W or 65W?

If 65 W that battery will last about 1.3 hours based on the V and mAh printed on it.
If 90 W that battery will last .93 hours so not even an hour.
Neither of those seem correct to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Looking at 2 sites that carry replacements
https://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/HP-486296-001-battery-p/hp-b10-486296.htm
https://www.duracelldirect.com/laptop-notebook/hp/oem-pno/486296-001--fv98aw.html

The original battery is 10.8 V and 5200mAh and lasts 3 hours. One site says 58Wh while the other says 56Wh with the same volts and mAh!

Last edited:

managed

Allan
The time a laptop battery should last only depends on it's W/h or mAH rating, the charger's Wattage only affects how long it takes to charge it to that level.

The W/h rating is the number of Watts it can supply per hour, which should equal mAH x Voltage
Being generous by using the max values in the last line of Liz's post we can work out the current the laptop needs, since
W/h = (Voltage x Current)/Hours we get
58 = 10.8xCurrent/3 so current = 174/10.8 = 1.61 Amps

Now to see how long a battery will last just divide 10.8x1.61 = 174 by it's W/h rating so 174/58 = 3 hours

Of course the above is assuming all batteries behave the same as the one we used to work this out.

rumi

Liz, thanks again,
yes I saw that there is a scheduled weekly defrag for 1am wednesday. Ive never noticed it run although I’m often on the computer at night. Maybe it runs invisibly.

I ran an analysis and it told me that C: drive was 52% fragmented. I don’t know if this is good or bad. I ran defrag, which did another analysis first, and l was down to 47% fragmented ?? The defrag ran for about an hour and a half, made 25 passes of the disk and finished without a diagnostic report, but was now reading 31% fragmented. I was thinking of running it again ???

I propped up the laptop so that more air could get at the hot part, it seemed to help. Also I have recently been standing the laptop on a green stationery cutting board, which is made of a funny material which the laser mouse can’t handle. I thought maybe it was insulating the laptop from dispersing heat so took it away. It also seemed to help a little.

I ran the laptop about 2 hours doing the defrag and uninstalling. It was hot but not scarily so like it has been a couple of times. I am up to 12.5 Gb free space and feeling very proud of myself ??? :)

Rumi

rumi

Hi Allan thanks, it seems my expectations gor the battery were unreasonably high.

Here is a pic of the ratings plate of the charger/ transformer.

Rumi 5E17AB28-5960-4CCC-989E-4AB3B9C29786.jpeg

rumi

Ok, I did a battery test under no stress

After full charge it just said 100% and no time remaining estimates.
after 11 mins it said 98% and 225 minutes remaining.
It carried on ok losing 16 minutes or so for each 15 mins of elapsed real time.
After 123 mins it was 45% and 108 mins
I got a 10% warning after 193 minutes, a hibernate warning after 201 minute (7%)
and it switched of and wouldnt switch back on when it went to 5% after 203 minutes.

So I got 3 hours 23 minutes out of it, the computer only got warmish and the fan never kicked into high gear.

Running the computer now, while it is charging the battery up and things are getting hotter and fan is racing (but not full speed)

I can send you the data set of my timings if you want.

thanks,

Rumi

rumi

charging unit is getting quite hot when recharging the battery and the laptop is operating.

plodr

Liz
I'd look to buy a new charging unit. Charging units get warm but should not get quite hot. It seems there might be a problem with yours.

3 hours and 23 minutes sound good for the battery you are using. And since the laptop doesn't overheat nor shutdown, there is no problem with either of those bits of hardware.

managed

Allan
That looks like the original charger and it's rating of 90 Watts seems legit because it also says on it 19 Volts and 4.74 Amps, so since Watts = Volts x Amps if you multiply 19 x 4.74 you get 90.6 Watts which is near enough.

Charging with the laptop on puts the most stress on the charger and will make it hot, you could charge it when the laptop itself is off to avoid it getting as hot as that.

rumi

Hi there, Thanks Allan (Emelyn Hughes fav Liverpool player btw)and Liz.

I've been testing how things are working.

It gets very hot while charging the battery and the laptop is being used.

If the battery is charged while the laptop is off it doesn't get worse than warm to hottish.

Once fully charged (and hot) if power cord still connected, it doesn't get worse but not much better.

Once fully charged, if the power cord is removed it will cool down to (warm to hottish).

If started up from cold with only battery power it never gets above warm.

I have an old battery and also tested it with that. I felt it was strange that the power adapter would suddenly become faulty at the same time as storage and retrieval problems.

But the old battery charges up fully after about 42 minutes. (too short for the laptop to get really hot although it is definitely getting hottish) Also the old battery doesn't keep it's charge very long (30 to 40 minutes) so I tended to keep the laptop power cable in pretty much all the time. As such the laptop battery never really needed charging up from zero while the laptop was in use, so I think the problem has existed for a long time, but was just hidden by my usage patterns.

So on that basis do you definitely feel that a new power adapter is the way to go ? It seems I can manage the laptop fairly well with what I have at the moment, but I'm worried if running hottish will cause other problems.

Finally I don't seem to be able to find an original HP adapter for the 8440P Elitebook, only compatible copies. I'm worried if I by a cheapo one that I will still have the same issues.

Anyway, thanks again

Rumi

managed

Allan
At it's hottest can you touch the charger continually or would that burn your finger ?

If you don't need portability you could run the laptop without a battery fitted, just using the charger.

EDIT : my favourite player was Peter Thompson, sadly he got a bad injury and wasn't as good afterwards but in his prime he was very fast and skilful. I liked 'Crazy Horse' too. ;)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online