1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

overheating issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sdabbs, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sdabbs

Sdabbs Thread Starter

Hey guys, over the last couple of weeks my computer has been freezing while I am in the middle of a working on some 3D prints (using preform) it has been getting increasingly worse, so I installed core temp yesterday and my intel core i7 doesn't look good :( (the only thing open at the moment is google chrome)
    upload_2018-10-17_11-51-33.png

I've cleaned out my computer interior, blew out the dust, made sure all the fans are running ok and put it in the middle of the floor for ventilation. All drivers are updated as well. I don't know what else to do or check - please help!

2. Sdabbs

Sdabbs Thread Starter

actual hard drives seems to be ok upload_2018-10-17_12-14-23.png

3. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Maybe you may need to check the thermal paste on your CPU or the fan to the CPU may not be working properly or clogged.

4. Sdabbs

Sdabbs Thread Starter

thanks for answering! all fans seem to be working ok - but how do I check the thermal paste? where would I find it?

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    If you have computer knowledge it should be under the fan in the motherboard. You may need to check on youtube for instructions on how to check it out depending on your computer model or make.

6. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    You may also want to check on how well ventilated your computer is.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You did not post your system specs so I have no idea what motherboard you are using. Most board mfg have purpose designed monitoring software to monitor temps/voltages. I would REALLY use that over a third party program. If you have a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, use the intel extreme tuning utility;
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/utility-tools.html

You asked about thermal compound and how to replace. First of all, I always recommend pulling the motherboard out of the case for an intel type cooler. Once the board is out of the case, you release the four pushpins by turning in the direction of unlock. When all four are released, pull the cooler off and clean ALL parts with 99% or 91% alcohol. Apply new thermal compound IAW [in accordance with] the compound mfg's instructions. Reinstall the cooler and then reinstall the motherboard in the case.

Note R&R a cooler can be done in the case however [IMO] you are more likely to do the job correctly with the board outside of the case. With the board outside of the case, you can support the back of the motherboard while pushing the pushpins back into place AND you can inspect the back of the board to be sure all four are fully seated.

8. Sdabbs

Sdabbs Thread Starter

ah! sorry about that, here is a summery of the system specs:
    upload_2018-10-17_14-10-39.png
    thank you for the info about checking and cleaning the thermal paste!

9. Sdabbs

Sdabbs Thread Starter

I am very hesitant to open up the computer so I d like to make sure it isn t anything else first! thanks for the link for the fine tuning download, I'm not sure what it means but here are the specs: upload_2018-10-17_14-18-17.png

10. Sdabbs

Sdabbs Thread Starter

running a stress test (thermal throttling is at full?) upload_2018-10-17_14-20-51.png

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, it is overheating. Modern cpus will downclock or throttle attempting to keep temps within limits. You need to fix the overheating. If you are not comfortable working inside the case, then you are going to have to take the system to a shop and have them fix the problem.

If you want to attempt to fix this yourself, first open the case and check that the cpu fan is working, the heatsink is in fact firmly attached, all other fans are working, etc. If all looks ok, then you need to pull the heatsink fan OFF and either replace the thermal compound OR just replace the heatsink fan. The new one will come with a thermal pad so no need to apply compound. If you are going to reuse the old one, then you need thermal compound.

Note there are numerous videos available online showing how to accomplish this task.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Again if you have to R&R the heatsink fan, I recommend pulling the motherboard out of the case. While this is more work, you are less likely to break something and more likely to get the cooler installed correctly. The intel type coolers can be a pain for the inexperienced builder; the amd type coolers can be done in the case since those are just about idiot proof.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

14. Sdabbs

Sdabbs Thread Starter

thank you for all of your help! I will try to take it apart now :)

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just a few more thoughts;
    1 Watch a few videos of installing an intel cooler
    2 Be sure and clean all parts with 91 or 99% alcohol. Do not use the 60% stuff you find in the supermarket; it contains lanolin and will leave a residue
    3 Once all four pushpins are released, give the cooler a gentle twist prior to pulling it off. If it will not come off easily, STOP do not force it off. Plug in the pw connectors from the pw supply [both atx and aux] short the pw switch pins on the motherboard. The board will now pw ON. Let it run for 1min and pw OFF. The cooler will now lift off easily

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice