1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating issue..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Loljim3, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Loljim3

Loljim3 Thread Starter

Lately my computer has been having the issue of overheating. I have 2 fans inside my computer. I cleaned the fans with compressed air and still having issues. I play a lot of games like World of Warcraft and lately Minecraft. Even when I play Minecraft my FPS will drop.. The only way I can keep a good frame rate is by opening the side panel and having a fan blow into my computer. I heard this is a bad idea but my computer will not stop overheating... What can I do to cool it down??

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Lets see if we can find what is overheating....Video card or CPU or maybe both

Download and install hwmonitor
    and see what the temps etc are. Download the 1.17 setup, english on the righthand side.
    ....take a reading when not running the game CPU(core) and GPU Video card and post them. (Just a screenshot of results is fine)

Then run the game for 10min or so and take another reading post the results

3. Loljim3

Loljim3 Thread Starter

Thanks for responding so fast. Here are the tests: http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8840/testsh.jpg

Mind you these tests were ran with my side panel open and a fan blowing directly into the computer. I can't imagine how much worse it would be without it... Hope this helps.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Your video card is very very hot.....is the fan spinning on the video card?

To see the true test would be to try without the fan blowing in the tower to see if the CPU get hot too...but definitely your video card is too hot....have you tried cleaning it?

5. Loljim3

Loljim3 Thread Starter

Yeah the fan is spinning. I checked last night. I cleaned the whole thing out a few weeks ago and again last night.. Is there anything I can do to cool it down? Or do you think it's just time to get a new card? :/

6. Megabite

Megabite

Well my V card I took the cover off and it was plugged with dust in there...solved my problem ...but if your Video card is free of dust then could be a sign it might be wearing out

7. Loljim3

Loljim3 Thread Starter

I never had this issue in the past so I'm guessing it is wearing out. I put in the stock video card for now. I still have my box from when I first bought my NVIDIA and it says lifetime warranty so I'll see if I can get a new one...

8. Megabite

Megabite

Also might be a good idea to run the temp program again with the stock Video card in with the tower closed up and test the CPU temps ..just to see you do not have problems with the CPU as well.

9. Loljim3

Loljim3 Thread Starter

Will do.. Just updated the drivers. I'll do that now.

10. Loljim3

Loljim3 Thread Starter

11. Megabite

Megabite

Yes those temps on CPU seem OK.....V card temps are better too

12. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Video card wearing out????

Give me a break.

That video card IS too hot. No doubt about it.

But it can only be hot if the fan isn't spinning fast enough or if the heat sink is clogged with dust. The fan could be spinning too slowly because (a) the fan bearing is either bad or clogged with dirt (which, effectively, is the same thing as bad) or (b) there is a driver problem.

I don't recall the details, but Nvidia did put out a driver in the not-distant past that was not correctly handling the fan. The word got around, the problem was fixed, and Nvidia recommended an upgrade (which is available on their site).

You should look into the driver possibility. Also, if your fan isn't spinning and your video card does what you want it to do...well...a new fan is a lot cheaper than a new video card.

13. Loljim3

Loljim3 Thread Starter

Well I cleaned the video card fan out.. I always check for new drivers every week. I could check for a new one but about 2 weeks ago is when it just started getting hot out of no where. I opened up the side panel and I see it spinning. I don't know what the deal is.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!