1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating, missing graphics card, and VGA graphics adapter not working.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Devond66, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Devond66

Devond66 Thread Starter

Okay, I'm really depending on you guys to help me out here.
    So, my computer is overheating at temps ~above 60C. My Nvidia Geforce GT 335m wont update, from the nvidia download page, nor from device manager. I was just simply updating my drivers from Device Manager, when I went to update my VGA Graphics a screen came up and said an error was encountered with Nvidia GeForce GT 335m. Now device manager says VGA Standard graphics adapter cannot start. Could this be causing overheating? I'm also getting strange crashes in League of Legends since this happened, where I get a Black Screen and need to hard reboot my computer sometimes after games.
    Anyway, its like my Nvidia graphics card is "missing" or something. P.S. I also have an under laptop cooling fan.Edit
    Also, would restoring to factory settings return my drivers to default again, and possibly fix this problem?
    Here are my Computer Specs"

Model:Alienware M11xR2
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU U 250 @ 1.07GHz
    Installed RAM: 4.00GB (3.8 usable)
    Windows 7 64bit
    Display adapters: Intel(R) HD Graphics and Standard VGA graphics adapter

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Updating the drivers from Device Manager is what broke things. You have hybrid Optimus graphics and your only source for drivers should be Alienware.

You can try Rolling back the driver from Device Manager OR use System Restore to before you tried updating the driver OR download the latest graphics driver package from the Alienware website for your exact laptop model. A Factory Recovery would also resolve the driver issue but be the most drastic solution.

What component is the 60 degree reading from? CPU or GPU or another component? 60 isn't awfully hot for most laptop hardware though.

3. Devond66

Devond66 Thread Starter

Okay,I felt like something weird was going on after updating those drivers. I have an under-laptop fan, so I thought that would keep my laptop from getting so hot, but I guess not. I've been using "Speed Fan" to monitor my temps, and it just has HD0, Core0, and Core1 listed. HD0 never gets over 50 degrees, but the two "Cores" were at 76 degrees at one point last night and I was worried. :/

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. Devond66

Devond66 Thread Starter

Ah, yeah its the i5-520, my bad. I also downloaded both of the links and I still have the same problem, and the nvidia one still didn't work, from that link nor the alienware website. I also tried system restore when this first happened to no avail.
    Thanks for your time.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you have all your data backed up then you can do the Factory Restore.

7. Devond66

Devond66 Thread Starter

How would I go about backing up just a few things, such as game downloads and pictures?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Copy and Paste to an external drive would work.

9. Devond66

Devond66 Thread Starter

So, I decided to just start from scratch..didn't back up anything, figured "oh I dont need anything what can go wrong in a restore to factory settings?" Apparently a lot. So after the restore process completed I clicked finish to reboot with restored settings, and on the windows start up screen my start up failed and sent me to start up repair. So, I click on repair, and ofcourse, it fails. Click on send for more info. I've tried the restore multiple times, but I really dont know what to do at this point.. From similar issues I read online, people used to Win. 7 CD's that came with the computer. Is this what I should do?

^^Assuming this is what I should do, how would i go about booting from my external CD drive?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    F12 usually brings up a boot menu on Dell/Alienware computer, make sure the drive is plugged in before turning the laptop on then use that key to bring up the boot menu and select the external drive. Does the internal drive not work?

11. Devond66

Devond66 Thread Starter

My laptop is a netbook so theres no internal drive. Im starting my pc up with the external drive now.

12. Devond66

Devond66 Thread Starter

To which disk should I install windows to?
    Theres Disk Partition 1,2, and 3.
    1 is labeled OEM.
    2 is labeled Recovery.
    3 is labeled primary.
    Im assuming to just install windows to primary?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Probably the Primary drive, it should be the one with the greatest capacity of the three.

14. Devond66

Devond66 Thread Starter

Alright, I ran the clean install, downloaded all the drivers made specifically for my computer off alienware.com. Mostly everything works, ofcourse the PC Gods werent done with me yet, I cannot connect to anything wirelessly, and the "Intel Intel(R) Wifi link 6250" refuses to install.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1045832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice