Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Overheating on my Acer Nitro 5 laptop

721 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
Hi, everybody.
I had problems with my acer nitro 5 laptop that I bought a year ago due to overheating. I thought the heating was from thermal paste, and I disassembled the laptop to change the paste. When I changed the paste, I saw that the piece I had marked in the picture was missing. Question: Could this piece cause the laptop to overheat? In general, what is the function of this piece and what is the disadvantage of the absence of the piece to the laptop? Note: The laptop is refurbished.

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't cite your specific model (acer nitro 5 is not specific enough), but based on this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001758090016.html

the chip there looks to be from SK Hynix, H5GC8H24AJR - 8GB GDDR5 SDRAM, video memory for the discrete graphics on this motherboard.

Different models of this motherboard may come with different GPUs, and those can/will require different amounts of memory. So the absence of the chip just means you have less video memory than other models.

It has nothing to do with your overheating problem.

#3 ·
Agreed, that is not part of the problem being missing. Overheating would be from no enough airflow or bad airflow to bad thermal, to bad chips that the airflow/thermal can't control, to overclocking making the computer run hotter. Have you checked a temperature program to see what is heating?

#5 ·
Thank you very much for your answer.
Yes I checked the temperature.
When the turbo mode is enable, the laptop heats up more.
When turbo mode is enable:
Idle: 55-65 degrees
Under load: 85-90 degrees

When Turbo mode is disable:
Idle: 45-55 degrees
Under load: 55-65 degrees (in this case fans run at the speed of 4000 RPM)
Note: these are CPU temp. The temperature of the GPU is normal.
Please share your thoughts

#6 ·
In my experience, that is not overheating. hitting 80-90 degrees is still considered within operating parameters by some branded machines (I have had plenty of newer dells hit this) so 65o is fine.

The general consensus if you google it is:

"Generally, the safe temperature range to use a laptop is in temperatures between 50 to 95 degrees F, or 10 to 35 degrees Celsius"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.