1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating Problem in Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SparkPlugBolt, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SparkPlugBolt

SparkPlugBolt Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an HP G70-120EA laptop. It used to overheat since the fans were not working and shut down or got hanged within 10 minutes of start-up. So I gave it to repair shop and they solved it and now it started working like before.

Then after one month of using the laptop and playing Anno 2070 and one week of Dishonored, both at the lowest settings, now the overheating problem cropped up again.

On starting the temperature is at 50C. Surfing the internet causes temperature to fluctuate around 65-75C. After 2 minutes of starting Far Cry 3 or Assassins Creed 3 (both at the lowest setting), causes temperature to reach 95-105C, with 105C maximum observed.

Note that only the left half of the laptop gets hot.
    I am using the laptop on an elevated surface with plenty of room for cooling. The laptop fan is set to on all of the time.

I am using GPU-Z to monitor the GPU temperature.

Whats the cause? Since it did not overheat for the first 1-2 months, what might be the cause? Did the cooling gel vaporise due to the high heat or what?

2. Dougx789

Dougx789

You could try to find out what brand of thermal paste they used (if its a cheap poor quality one that could be the issue)
    Do you have pets? Can you find any dust or hair in the area where you keep your laptop? It doesn't take a lot to clog up the heat sink making the fan next to useless.

3. SparkPlugBolt

SparkPlugBolt Thread Starter

Well I asked them, they said what thermal paste they use, they dont know, since someone else worked on it.
    And I dont have pets. Chances of dust getting into the vents are very low, since I ensure that no dust goes into the vents during room cleaning or at any other time.

Anyways, what do you think the problem might be?? Is it a problem of the graphics card?? The heat-sink?? Why does the problem start late?? Do any circuit gets fried over time?? :S

4. Simba7

Simba7

If you get to it in time, nothing will be damaged.

I'd suggest grabbing a tube of Arctic Silver and returning it to the repair shop.. unless you're comfortable disassembling your laptop.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!