1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by South_Hustler, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. South_Hustler

South_Hustler Thread Starter

I have a new Amd Quad Core Processor I got with asus M4A785-M MOBO but when the MOBO bios crashed I tried to use the processor in another MOBO.......it works but it overheats could it be that the MOBO can't handle the processor???

2. fang508

fang508

overheating is usually caused by bad cooling. All mobos that say they can take a certain cpu can use it fine.and how does bios crash?never heard of that before.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is not correct. In the past there have been numerous instances of board makers claiming their product supported a given cpu when in fact there were problems. When the first amd dual core cpus were introduced, boards using the nforce chipset were said to support the new dual cores; there were stability problems.

When the first dual core intels were introduced, same thing; board makers claimed their boards supported the VERY power hungry P4 prescotts. There were a LOT of failed boards due to VRs not being able to handle the amount of wattage required by the [then] new cpus.

Post the exact cpu you are using AND the exact mb, along with the bios version currently installed on the board.

4. South_Hustler

The MotherBoard - MCP6P M2+
    Processor - Amd Phenom X4 9750
    Bios Version - IDK

I had an ASUS M4A785-M MOBO but that bios chip went bad

5. South_Hustler

That is the motherboard the Processor originally came with and it work fine untill i had bad bios and couldn't use it
    PLEASE HELP ME

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Bios chips do not just "go bad" unless you attempted a bios flash, physically damage the chip, etc.

The AMD type hsf is almost foolproof however I would go back and recheck your installation of the hsf. That board should not have a problem running a 9750 since it is a low pw cpu using 95W.

You post
    Post the temps you are seeing.

Something else I am not understanding
    9750s are at least 3 generations old tech and are not even sold new any longer by any mainstream seller. How is this a "new" processor?

7. South_Hustler

the temperature starts from normal temperature (40°C) and slowly go up to
    61°C and then 2mins after it run up to 70°C and then cuts off because the motherboard was set to turn off at 70°C +

the processor is new because i bought it from tigerdirect 4 months ago and the motherboard stopped work after 1 month because i was installing more ram and unplugged the powersupply from the MOBO but didn't from the outside so when i plugged it in it sparked and never came on and i was told it could be the bios because it comes one but no video display but the lights on keyboard flash when powered on

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice