overheating problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

august6th

Recently there has been a serious overheating problem in my computer tower pertaining to my video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro). For some reason, I can only have the computer on for a few minutes before the card overheats, causing my comp to crash. Also I can smell something during the crash, perhaps the plastic of the card. Whatever it is, it has a strong odor. The odd thing is though. This can be avoided if I turn on my computer, then turn off again and then turn back on in a couple of minutes. If I do this, I can keep the comp on for as long as I need. However, if i stress the card by running games (new ones and old ones), my comp crashes.

Ive had this card for about a year, and havent had any hardware changes made since its installation so i have no idea why this is happening now.
Suggestions?

i would check and ensure that the vid card is getting proper cooling, check to make sure the fan on the vid card is still working if it as one. if it isnt you might want to intall a another cooling fan below your vid card

august6th

i took out the card and cleaned out the fan with compressed air and it seemed to work fine, as for installing an extra fan, are u talking about on the card or in the case?

install another fan just below the vid card they attach near the pci slots. but you might have to accept that the vid card is probably dead.

Run Aída 32 and see what the sensors tell you. The temp of each sensor is actually displayed. If something is going over 60 degrees centigrade it's probably to high.

bernardus

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online