1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

overheating problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by august6th, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. august6th

august6th Thread Starter

Recently there has been a serious overheating problem in my computer tower pertaining to my video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro). For some reason, I can only have the computer on for a few minutes before the card overheats, causing my comp to crash. Also I can smell something during the crash, perhaps the plastic of the card. Whatever it is, it has a strong odor. The odd thing is though. This can be avoided if I turn on my computer, then turn off again and then turn back on in a couple of minutes. If I do this, I can keep the comp on for as long as I need. However, if i stress the card by running games (new ones and old ones), my comp crashes.

Ive had this card for about a year, and havent had any hardware changes made since its installation so i have no idea why this is happening now.
    Suggestions?

2. cwby74

cwby74

i would check and ensure that the vid card is getting proper cooling, check to make sure the fan on the vid card is still working if it as one. if it isnt you might want to intall a another cooling fan below your vid card

3. august6th

august6th Thread Starter

i took out the card and cleaned out the fan with compressed air and it seemed to work fine, as for installing an extra fan, are u talking about on the card or in the case?

4. cwby74

cwby74

install another fan just below the vid card they attach near the pci slots. but you might have to accept that the vid card is probably dead.

5. bernardus

bernardus

Run AĆ­da 32 and see what the sensors tell you. The temp of each sensor is actually displayed. If something is going over 60 degrees centigrade it's probably to high.

bernardus

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the brand and wattage of your PSU?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!