1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating risk?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Psycheout, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Psycheout

Psycheout Thread Starter

I have a Sony VAIO VGC-RB49 with a 3.06 GHZ Celeron D processor, if that helps any in this situation. All I have is the standard fan.

I'm not going to have air conditoning for a few weeks until we can get it fixed, and it might get pretty warm in here. The PC isn't up against a wall and in fact it has an enitre room of air behind it so the outlets in the back are not blocked. It`s fairly new, so there is not much dust in there to insulate any heat.

What would the risks be of overheating be if the temp in my house got to somewhere between 80 and 90, including the factors I listed above? What are the signs I might need to shut it off if it does get too hot?

Thanks.

2. wacor

wacor Banned

I would think you would be ok but you might want to download Everest free or another program that will monitor temps to keep an eye on them.

also would be a good idea to clean out the computer to get rid of dust which would clog things up and put stress on things already

3. Psycheout

Psycheout Thread Starter

OK, I have Everest installed.

It's cool in here tonight, so these are my current operating temps:

Motherboard: 44 C; 111 F
    CPU: 50 C; 122 F
    Aux: 44 C; 111 F (I don't know what Aux means??)
    Hard drive: 42 C; 108 F

What would you all consider warning temps?

4. GripS

GripS

Heh. Sounds like you have temps like i am having here in Washington. We are wimps up here and it's been in the 90's the past couple of days. Too dang hot i tell ya. This sucks.

Those temps are pretty high. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your not doing any long time gaming where the video card would be sure to overheat. CPU will shut itself down if it gets too hot. Surfing and such shouldn't be a problem though.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Temp for cpu is a little high but no where near warning area , but others are quite normal....
    Cpusustained over 70 would be a real warning.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You might want to open the case and place a small desk type fan set to blow air into the case. This will help with cooling both the cpu and the northbridge.

You may have a setting in the bios to warn / shutdown if a given temp is reached. Check your manual.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice