1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating video card ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulfr2, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulfr2

paulfr2 Thread Starter

I have a LeadTek WinFast GeForce2 video card. The fan on the GPU has stopped working. I took it off and cleaned off dust but it still won't spin. Is it possible that an overheated GPU could cause my entire system, including the clock, to slow down after a while?

I have been having trouble with my PC slowing down to the point where the mouse moves in jerking motions, the sound starts breaking up into a sort of staccato and even the system clock loses time. After an hour of use the clock is at least 2 hours behind but when I reboot the clock comes back at the correct time (so I know it's not the CMOS battery) and everything else works normally for a while.

I was wondering if the fact that the fan on the GPU is not working could cause these problems. I also posted these problems in the Windows 95/98/Me forum but I wanted to post this hardware question here. Thanks for any help.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Thats a hard question to anser in a definite manner.
    While its unlikely to do so, we just cannot estimate how an overheated GPU would react. Or what effect it could have on the rest of the system.

But really, its easy to prove. Put a new fan on it, or at the very least leave the side panel off and blow a desk fan unto the case and see if it changes the characteristic.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!