1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrtroxell, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrtroxell

jrtroxell Thread Starter

I kept getting the black screen of death on my T-series emachine running Windows XP. After many hours, I opened up the side of the case and put a fan next to it. I have had no problem for well over an hour. My question is: there are three fans I see; how can I decide which one(s) to replace?

2. Netghost56

Netghost56

Why assume you need to replace a fan? Something is causing your computer to overheat...if you don't figure out what it is you could lose the whole system.

Any recent changes? Software? Hardware?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are all 3 fans spinning?

Are the components covered with dust or hair or debris?

---------------------------------------------------------

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

emachines use low end ie cheap parts. It may well be the pw supply that is overheating. Since the case is already open, look at the pw supply label. If it is a bestec, the very best advise I could give you would be to replace it. Bestecs fail often and when they do, they can take out the mb, cpu, ram, etc.

Next answer flavallee's question referencing whether the fans are working and is the system clean.

5. jrtroxell

jrtroxell Thread Starter

WADR, the fans are used to do cooling, and if they don't run properly, they could BE the problem, nicht wahr? All three fans are spinning. I've carefully cleaned the inside. I'll check the model of power supply. I saw the side fan, which I guess cools the hard drive on the other side, for sale for about 15 bucks. I can be like an auto repair guy and just keep replacing stuff until the problem goes away.

6. Netghost56

Netghost56

I assumed that your fans were running, otherwise it would be a simple solution.

I agree on checking the PSU, could be another simple solution.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice