1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hell Raiser, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hell Raiser

Hell Raiser Thread Starter

I have a 2 year old laptop.
    I play games on it and I know laptops are not really there to play games on as they overheat easily and they are less powerful but I do, I custom made a gaming laptop and thats what I wanted it for (in part).

When I first got it, it was great, never overheated. As time went on it started to overheat a bit, and once it overheated once it did it over and over. I bought a cooling pad for my laptop and that worked really well, it brought the temp down quite a lot. Then within the last month the cooling pad is no longer cooling it down enough and it overheats all the time now, even with my window open in a freezing cold room, it overheats.

The overheating temperature is 95c, when i first started using a cooling pad it was about 80-85 and now the computer will hit 95 quite easily with most games.

I cleaned the processor fan recently (had no dust in it).

Any suggestions or ideas?

Oh yea, one of my cores is always hotter than the other 3, by up to 8 degrees.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you're comfortable dismantling the laptop I would open it up and check for any dust/blockage between the fan to the outlet, usually the Cpu heatsink is in between them and it can get clogged up. This can happen even if the fan itself looks quite clean.

You could also replace the thermal compound between the Cpu and the Heatsink, you should definitely do this if you have to separate them.

3. Hell Raiser

Hell Raiser Thread Starter

Yea I actually have a degree in computing but it really didn't cover much of the hardware side of things, though I have built several computers before. I just have 0 experience with laptops, this is my first one. I watched a youtube vid that described what you said. How easy is it to get the cpu out? and how easy is it to get to the heatsink? much like a desktop?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!