1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NilAdmirari, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NilAdmirari

NilAdmirari Thread Starter

Alright I've got an Alienware system, thus I've got the large tower case. I used Intel Active Monitor to figure out the temps for my system and it seems that I've been getting high numbers for my "System Zone 1". I read into it a bit and apparently the the bios I had could've been giving inaccurate readings. I have the newest version of Active Monitor and I just updated my bios but my System Zone 1 is still giving me high temps, typically 58 or 59 degrees Celsius. My problem is I have no idea where the sensor is for "System Zone 1" so I have no idea where in my tower the system is overheating.

Problem...I've got 4 case fans, a fan and heatsink on my processor, a fan built into my power supply, and a fan on my GeForce 3. If I get hot this summer I think I'll just sit near the thing. I'm not so sure how to set up the fans to get optimum air flow, right now I have 2 fans on the front, one blowing on my harddrives and one below it blowing out. I have one on the back blowing out, and I have another fan on the side of the case blowing in. I have a slot for one more fan but I already think this is somewhat absurd...should I just go ahead and fill that in?

Lastly I'm worried about screwing up my airflow due to a mess of wires...is there anyway I could clean up my cables a bit? Anyone have a site or something? Thanks to anyone who can help me.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would help if you specified the processor, MB, etc. in the system. FWIW, those temperatures are too high for and processor if they're accurate, that's the real question.

3. rosh325

rosh325

correct me if im wrong..but wouldnt it be more logical for the 2 front fans to be blowing air into the case (hard to tell what you meant by "in" vs. "out"...im assuming in and out of the case........typically the front fans should suck air in..and the back fans out..that way air will flow over MB, HD, etc.......if you want to clear up some space...you can purchase round IDE cables which supposively optimize air flow by clearing up clutter

4. NilAdmirari

I'm sorry for the confusion...yes "in" and "out" means the air is blowing into and out of the case.

I have a Pentium 4 1.7 ghz processor, 256 mhz RDRAM, a d850GB board, Nvidia GeForce 3 64mb.

I'll tell you what Intel Active Monitor is giving me for temps.

all values are celsius
    Processor Zone = 35
    System Zone 1 = 57
    System Zone 2 = 34

Now those values will vary slightly but not more than 3-4 degrees up or down.

As for the round ide cables I've heard that you can actually alter your standard ones by cutting the cables in strips vertically and then braiding them...I'm assuming that this is quite a hassle however.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you have the manual it should tell you what the zones are. RDRAM runs quite hot i'm told, though i've yet to see it myself. Could be the video card, or powersupply overheating as well. Have you tried opening the case and seeing if you can feel where the heat is coming coming from - a 22 degree variance shouldn't be too hard to pin point by moving your hand around in the case.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. NilAdmirari

Yeah I looked into that anomaly with the bios...check my first post in this thread. I've updated the bios and am using the newest version of Active Monitor...everything should be reading accurately at this point. I'll see if I can't feel the temperature...I'll also swap my fans about a bit and see if that doesn't do anything.

8. BTS '76

BTS '76

open slot covers can also disrupt airflow and cause overheating.

9. NilAdmirari

You mean in the front where the drives go or in the back? Eitherway both of em are tip top...I rearranged my fans, two blowing in the front and two blowing out the back...I've moved about my wires a bit and it seems as if I'd get much better air across the system at this point yet my system zone 1 temp hasn't altered more than a degree.

10. MrDave

MrDave

Typical optimum fan placement has fans placed lower in the case blowing in and fans placed higher blowing out (ie. front case fans nearer to the base blow in, rear fans place closer to power supply blow out), equal numbers of fans should be blowing in as blowing out to avoid pressure differences, and all fans should blow in one direction, usually being from front of case to back of case, to avoid "dead air" spots inside the case.

11. NilAdmirari

I tried to figure out where the heat was on my board but I couldn't tell with my hands alone. I can't seem to locate any documentation as to where on my board my temperature monitors are so I can't locate the specific heat anomaly that way. I set my fans up to blow in the front and out the back, I should have a good S-Curve going through it now...should I throw a fan on the side or leave it as is?

I have 2 variable speed fans and 2 basic fans...any suggestions on how I should set those up? Currently I have both variables blowing in and both basics blowing out...I haven't gotten a reading on this setup yet since the secondary clip on my IDE harddrive cable came off in the process of moving the fans. I'll be picking up a new fan tonight so hopefully I can get the temperature down some.

There is some good news...I've gone from mid 60's - 70's to a pretty steady 56-57...still higher than I'd like though.

All issues with bios updates and software updates SHOULD be alright...there seems to be no documented errors in the software after the upgrades have been made. Still...it seems VERY odd that I'd have a 20 degree temperature difference in one part of my case. My only real worry comes with the knowledge that my Ram will be tripled in the coming days creating more heat in the case.

12. MrDave

MrDave

Adding side fans that blow directly onto the hot areas is always good, as long as you have a sufficient power supply for the added fans. Aftermarket heatsinks also do an ok job on some applications. It's also a good idea to install those foam filters behind the fans blowing into the case as this will reduce dust buildup. To clear up the wire mess problem, convoluted tubing or zip ties are a good way to reduce airflow restriction.

13. NilAdmirari

Thanks Mr. Dave...I hooked up the new IDE cable and rearranged my fans...no change in the temps really except that now my System Zone 1 is sticking around the 62-64 range and my other zones have dropped down to the mid 20's. I'm starting to think that its some anomaly with the software. If were the processor zone I wouldn't mind the heat spike so much but frankly for that one area of my comp to be about 30 degrees hotter than the rest of it...well that just sounds absurd.

14. NilAdmirari

AHA!! After much digging through google and Intel's site I came across this.

Seems my problem could lie in the fact that I haven't done a fresh install of the program since I started screwing around with it. And it seems the heat is around my PCI slots...most probably my graphics card (GeForce 3). The fan on that seems to be working fine so I'm thinking the side fan, blowing air directly onto the slots, might help. Guess I'll go get another fan tomorrow. Best check on the total voltage I'll need for the 5 case fans as well. I'll keep you all in the loop.

15. jeff28

jeff28

if you want the temp of the chip to be coller just but a better fan on the chip.don't stress about the mobo or the hdd etc....they run a little warm anyway.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/124901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice