Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

overheating

857 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
athlon1800+
256mb ram

Haven't done any tweaks or changes or overclocking. Recently ran System Health from BIOS as I had a hard drive prob (which I'm just about to replace as it's dying). The info given was that cpu runs at 51-53c and system at 25c, cpu fan speed is 2600rpm and system fan at 3500rpm. Temperature warnings and shutdowns are not activated. I recently read that 40c is the right temp for a cpu. Am I overheating? Read in a forum about "edge temperatures" or something, but I've quoted above all the info that sytem health gives.

#2 ·
my AMD 1700 runs at around 50C since its in a cupboard with very little airflow. during last years hot summer I had to pull it out and open the side panel to keep cool - that dropped down to 40c.
I have a case fan and cpu fan.
if you search this forum you will see loads about temps.

in fact this one is a poll of AMD temps
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=205037

#3 ·
nick reynolds,

I have two Athlon 2600 based systems - one has system temp around 43c, the other runs at 52c. I have had no crashes or lockups as a result of these temps on either pc. Though you may have read on other sites that 40c is a recommended limit this is not to be taken as 'read'. Each pc user will have different experiences where performance is concerned. During last years hot summer one of my pcs had a temp of 60c. As a safety precaution I ran it with the side panel removed - but still no problems manifested themselves. Perhaps I was lucky - however even at that temp. there is still a margin before any critical level is reached.

You might for your own peace of mind make sure that the inside of the case is free from dust, and that the fans / heatsink are clear of same. If so then you should not necessarily need to be concerned. There are people who go the extra mile and buy a top of the range cooling fan / heatsink which they then report gave them a significant reduction in temps - however this should not be taken as an indicator of what you should aim for.

When you experience an unstable pc then you need to think about things like improved cooling.

#5 ·
50-53C is acceptable and no real cause for concern. The hottest my AMD Athlon 1600 XP has even gotten is 52C when under a full load in my warm room.

#6 ·
Its also possible that the sensor is a little off - most are. So the temp could be a little lower or a little higher. The 40's, and of course lower, range is a good place to aim for with AMD's but low 50's are OK. Just make sure that temperature doesn't soar under heavy load. Cleaning the dust out of a case/heatsink generally drops the temp down if there is any. Cleaning up the cables can also increase air flow in the case and is something you can do when you go to replace the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.