1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheShadow395, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheShadow395

TheShadow395 Thread Starter

My PC keeps freezing up, sometimes with a constant beep. This has only happened for the last few days, since the weather has got very hot, and seems to happen when the CPU temperature hits 60, but this morning it happened at 54. I have a GeForce 4 (MX440), which I think are known for heat issues, and since I can't see that my Athlon 2400XP could be overheating at 60, I thought maybe the graphics card is? I don't yet have any case fan(s).

I'll post more details when I can but it'll probably crash again in a minute and it takes awhile before it'll boot up again.

Mobo: ASROCK K7S8X
    CPU: AMD Athlon 2400+
    RAM: 512MB DDR @ 333

Any advice at all appreciated.

2. WarC

WarC

It could be either. Where do you get the temperature reading for the processor? You have to be careful about temp. readings, if you just get the temp from the CPU fan it will be off, as this isn't the actual temperature of the CPU core. Make sure whatever program your using gets its temp. from the core, or, next time it freezes restart and enter BIOS to see what the core temp says.

You should invest in some good case airflow. I'm working up a sweat just imagining that sauna in there :D

3. Rockn

Rockn

Surprised it stayed on that long running at 60C. If it aint broke now it won't be long.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I start to investigate the problem when cpu temp goes above 55C for an xp. There are other things that can overheat; you have identified one in the video card. Others are memory, chipset ie northbridge.
    As a simple test, open the case and leave it off. Place a small desk type fan blowing air into the case. If the problem stops, you have found the cause to be oheating. You will need to invest in better cooling. If it still gives you problems with a fan blowing into the case, you have other problems. Post back with results.

5. TheShadow395

Many thanks. Will do so tommorow.

WarC: I can only find one temperature for the CPU, doubt it's from the fan though, it's not too great. I might get a better one when I have any money.

6. 4steve44

4steve44

Hey Shadow, What type of thermal grease are you using? I just did a new build(my 1st one) with a P4 2.8Ghz prescott core. :D I got rid of the stock cooling heatsink and fan and replaced it with the Zalmar listed below. I used the thermal grease that came with the Zalmar. I was running 68C under load. :eek: It was suggested in this forum that I change from the thermal grease that came with the Zalmar and use Artic Silver 5. (y) My temp went from 68C to 54C under load and to 39C no load. What a difference :eek: The guide to use is at thier site. Good luck!

7. TheShadow395

4steve44: Not sure, but cheap. Thanks, I'll have a look for that stuff.

Okay, update:

PC ran fine steadily from about 7am - 3pm today. Didn't go over about 55°. Then, a little after three, the temperature started rising. Reached 60°, then just as I was getting alarmed, it dropped quickly down to 55°, but then froze shortly after.

Turned it off, left it for an hour or two. Opened up the case to look at the CPU fan, it looks pretty dusty but I'm not really sure. The metal grills underneath seem to be coated in dust below the fan axle.

I put the case back on and turn it on. POSTs okay, etc, reach Windows. Freezes up and I hear a motor stop inside. Couldn't say whether it was a fan or a drive. A red line appeared at the top of the screen, about ten pixels down, and speckled with random colours. The bottom edge of the was uneven too. I press the power button and it instantly goes off, where normally I have to hold it down for about five seconds (even when it's frozen before).

Is it time to panic? What should I do about the heatsink? Compressed air? Hoover?

Finally, any opinion on these as regards to cooling?:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=242

To suck in air, mounted in the bottom PCI slot? I can't see where I could get a 'sucking' fan at the front of the case

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I think that I would quit testing your luck at letting it get up to 60C :eek:

9. TheShadow395

How hot is bad?

Have had an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and the monitor's gone into standby accompanied by a repeating three-long-beep pattern in the last hour or so.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

11. slipe

slipe

I would use vacuum first and then compressed air. A pipe cleaner works well to get anything stuck to the fins. Clean your video card and anything else with fins.

You didn’t mention anything about blowing a fan into the computer. I wouldn’t turn it on again without that in case you haven’t already blown the processor or whatever is overheating.

60 degrees won’t usually blow a processor, but you probably aren’t reading the actual chip temp as has been suggested.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Check with the fan blowing into the case. Have you checked task mgr to see if a process is using a large percentage of cpu cycles? Processor temp is directly related to load; if the load is high, then the temp will increase.

While the case is open, and after you blow it out, power it up and make sure all fans are working. Sometimes a fan will lockup with dust, dirt, etc.

13. zeddy

zeddy

I would get a better CPU fan and heatsink, apply thermal paste and see if that hits the spot.

14. TheShadow395

crj: No processes are heavily loading the system. CPU usage ~5% in XP. I even left it running in the BIOS setup and it froze after a few minutes. The only fan in there is the CPU fan.

slipe: Thanks. I'll go'n buy some pipe cleaners in a bit. Don't have a vacuum cleaner with a narrow enough head to be able to clean anything though.

zeddy: I don't really want to resort to that if I can avoid it. I ended up taking what was going to be my first custom build to a local PC shop at the heatsink-fitting point because I was terrified of breaking it. Couldn't figure out the odd-shaped wide silver clips on each side.

List of what I've tried trouble-shooting wise:

0615 ... Didn't POST, no monitor output.

0637 ... With case off and desk fan blowing into tower, working okay.

0639 ... Monitor returned to standby, three beeps repeatedly from tower. Thirty-two degrees.

0652 ... Tried powering up again. Monitor stayed in standby. No POST beeps whatsoever.

0859 ... Got to Windows fine.

0902 ... Monitor went, three beep pattern.

0927 ... Powering up okay.

0930 ... Three beeps, no monitor output.

0945 ... Powering up okay into BIOS setup

0948 ... Froze silently at BIOS hardware monitoring screen.

1017 ... Reseated RAM in bank 0 from bank 1. I seem to have omitted to log the result, but I think the monitor went and it stopped dead silently (silent = no beeps).

1022 ... Removed video card and tried to power up. Greeted by two very short beeps followed by ten or so slightly longer ones.

1023 ... Video card replaced (put back in, not a new card). Monitor stayed in standby. No POST beeps.

1024 ... Removed RAM. Three-beep pattern immediately at startup. Same when I checked again shortly after.

1025 ... RAM replaced in bank 0. Boots fine.

1028 ... Reached Windows XP welcome screen. Restarted into Linux.

1040 ... Worked fine in Red Hat. Rebooted into XP (this session). Case is still open, tower on its side. 42°.

1059 ... Finished typing and repeatedly editing this post to ensure as much as possible made it to the 'net. CPU reported temperature is still 42°, mobo temp. is "33°".

Thanks very very much for all the help so far. I took a few quick snaps of the inside of my PC [here] on the off-chance you can see anything. Sorry they're huge resolution and little-compressed, but I didn't want to risk not being able to upload them at all by leaving it too long and the PC dying again.

15. LukeW

LukeW

Get rid of that dust off the CPU fan mate it will help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/239638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice