1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

overheating?

Discussion in 'Games' started by overheating, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. overheating

overheating Thread Starter

Whenever i play this one on line game my computer ends up crashing after a couple minutes. I looked in some sites and tried what they suggested but none of the answers did anything. I decided to see if this could be a result of overheating because i could feel waves of heat coming out of my computer. I looked on-line for a heat detector and after I installed it I ran it shortly after the crash and the computer was 109ºF. So could my computer be crashing as a defense mechanism because of its heat? help would be greatly appreciated

2. colman77

colman77

That's about 42.8 C.

It could be cooler, but that's not crash-and-burn time in my book. As a general rule, it is good to keep your cpu temps under or at 40.
    Also, different CPU's have different thresholds. What's your CPU make/speed?
    My CPU runs around the same temps as yours. It could be cooler, but it's been high ever since I overclocked it :D:D:D
    Or is it because I don't have a case fan??? :D

Another common cause of restarts during gaming is an underpowered power supply. Can you check the wattage?

Also, you might as well list the specs of your whole system. If you don't know them, look here under 'your computer'.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I doubt heat as most temps are in centigrade and 109 F is about 42 C.
    That is CPU temps and that is perfectly normal for any CPU.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Only if it is a Pentium would I even be concerned about anything in the upper 40 range. My Athlon XP idles at 36 but hits about 43 pegged, The new Pentiums run hotter also.
    I don't think it is a heat issue.

5. overheating

overheating Thread Starter

Here are my specs. I hope this has the stuff you need.

Intel Pentium 4 cpu Xp
    3.06GHz
    3066MHz
    1024MB of ram
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (sony) video card
    graphics mode 1024x768 with 32 bit color depth
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S533VL Main board
    The hard drive that was 109ºF was is a maxtor 4A250J0

6. shadowcat

shadowcat

What is the brand and Wattage of your power supply? It's the part that plugs into the wall outlet.

7. colman77

colman77

To see if it's overheating once and for all...
    take the side of the case off, remove any big dustbunnies (remove power first), point a desk fan into the PC, and turn on your computer. If it runs.... then it's overheating

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/262466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice