1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dingle, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dingle

dingle Thread Starter

Which reasonably priced case/solution would you advise for a cooler system ?

At present the mobo is running very hot, and I think the PSU is being strained.

Std Tower Case, Non alu. (it was cheap at the time...)
    Hiper 420W Twin fan PSU, Set to Full blow.
    3 Optical Drives
    1 Tape Drive
    1 Floppy
    4 HDD's. 2 With Fan Kits underneath, 1 Full Height SCSI
    1 Front fan, 1 rear.

Asus 600x Mobo.
    AMD2800, 1Gb DDR400 (2x512)
    Mentor 5700 GPU
    Interface Cards:
    TV Card, Creative Audigy + Riser, SCSI Card, Firewire Card & Additional SATA controller.

Used for Video Editing/Recording, Gaming and some Office use.

Any suggestions of past experience would be appreciated.
    The SCSI Card/Drive/Tapedrive will be moving to another PC once AMD mobo's support PCI-E.

2. fishhookz

fishhookz

First off, cheap HDD fans do more harm than good. It generates heat and disturb the air flow. BTW, the best place to cool HD is NOT the bottom, but the top, which is the hottest part. Sadly, I have yet to see a properly designed HDD cooler.

I'd suspect the ambient temp in the case. Get a good CPU cooler. i.e. Zalman 7000 all copper. You might want to replace the crappy heatsink on the northbridge chipset, which is where the mobo temp is detected.

My case is cheap too. I just modified it to have better air flow from the front. You could use some cable management - move them out of the way to the right side.

3. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

How hot is it???

4. dingle

dingle Thread Starter

OK, HDD Fans removed, will see if helps the flow at all.
    Also taken out the SCSI cable for the DAT drive as it wouldn't help the air flow.

Didn't seem to help much, but today gonna order new CPU fan, northbridge fan and a temperature monitor so i can monitor the temperature properly.

All i know is it runs damned hot, and SI-SANDRA reports 50 degress or more for the temp of the mobo.

Will update this when i got them in and can track wots going on better - Maybe then i can look at overclocking.....

5. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

HOLY CRAP!!! 50 degrees C is SMOKIN!!! for the MoBo.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your MB is truly running at 50C, you don't need better processor cooling, you need better case cooling! How much does the temperature drop if you remove the side panels? If it's significant, that's a sure sign that case cooling is the issue.

I prefer exhaust fans mounted near the top at the rear of tower configurations. I don't use intake fans, because I've actually had them create turbulence and reduce cooling.

7. stranglehold

stranglehold

Where are most MB temps measured?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/315585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice