1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m00k, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

Hi this is my first post here :)

PC specs at bottom

I have been having this problem for a while and havent been able to completely resolve it but have managed to lessen it.

I built my computer in the early spring. The first game I bought/installed was half-life 2. As soon as I tried to start the opening cinematic, my computer would crash. I fixed this problem by disabling and unnecessary programs from running in the background of my computer. Since then the game has run perfectly. I soon decided to benchmark my rig with 3dmark-05. After about ten seconds of running the actual 3dmark app, the same problem reoccured - my PC would crash, the LEDs and power still on, but a blank [powersave mode] monitor screen.

My first suspiscion is my RAM. I bought Ultra 512mb pc3200 budget memory. Plus the memory does not have a heatspreader attatched.

Next would be my video card which is an XFX Nvidia Geforce 6600GT 128Mb card. Since the problem only occurs during visually demanding apps, I had a feeling something may be wrong with my videocard. I have tried to see if my GPU's fan is operational but am unable to completely see because the fan faces the bottom of my chassis. Also, I have a Vantec PCI dual fan card running right under my GPU which should be adding extra cooling...very confusing indeed.

Finally, could this be a *gulp* proccessor problem?! I am running an Intel P4 3.34 Ghz processor on a Chaintech Summit series motherboard. The CPU has an Aerotech heatsink/fan on it but could this possibly be a faulty heatsink/fan combo?

Any and all help is deeply appreciated.

Pentium 4 3.34 Ghz cpu
    XFX nividia 6600GT 128mb videocard
    Chaintech Summit series motherboard
    Aspire 500 watt ATX power supply
    Wester Digital 120Gig HDD
    Sony dual layer dvd burner
    Vantec PCI dual fan card
    Aerotech CPU fan/heatsink

2. Flicker

Flicker

here's a link where memory problems are discussed...
    http://forums.techguy.org/t381996.html
    is there any blue screen of death, or does it restart, or does it just go into 'stasis'?
    you could try pcpitstop.com - that goes over your comp and checks for things that could prove informative.
    if you have any extra memory around, try substituting that for what you have.

3. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

Hmm no blue screen, and I have to manually hit the restart button on my chassis before the system restarts.

4. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Definitely try a different video card first, even if it is just a PCI one. Let's pray it's not the video card because XFX support sucks.

5. 4steve44

4steve44

So what is your cpu temp when running your games? ;)

6. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

I havent check the temp whele playing games but during normal usage its about 40C.

I bought my Vid card form tigerdirect.com = no warranty. Anything I can do if it turns out to be the video card? On another note, how exactly should I go about testing another video card? Will older boards even be able to run 3Dmark?

I just ran memtest till about 1100% and there werent any errors...but would this cover heating problems?

7. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

you might have broke the bond between the heatsink on the gfx card and the GPU. Did you touch the heatsink on it or wiggle it or anything?

8. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

Nope, I just put it right into the mobo...so by the response, this seems to be a vid card problem? If so, can't I buy a replacement heatsink/fan for my gpu?

9. Derrick

Derrick

Under normal usage your at 40c.. that's a lttle bit high, the real test is to see how hot it is while playing a game for an extended period of time.
    With a good heatsink the temp's should not fluctuate any more than 10c or so.

Do you have anything overclocked?

I don't know how good those Aspire power supply's are ,but you need a good one for what your system need's.

Oh yeah!..... is your video cards power coming right off the supply ? or do you have it being shared with somthing else?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since the problem only happens when gaming, I would suspect first the video card. XFX is not noted as being a quality mfg; in fact they are about the bottom of video card mfg.

The next thing I would look at is the power supply. Aspire is [again] not noted for being a quality mfg. They are not as bad as xfx, however aspire is not at the same level as antec, enermax, sparkle, etc.

The reason I suspect the ps is that you will be pulling more amps during gaming than just running word, etc.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you do replace the card, go with one by leadtek, bfg, or evga. Those are quality mfgs; there cards cost more, however they are worth more.

12. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

40c isn't very high for that kind of cpu.

13. Derrick

Derrick

Well... It's nice to see any processor in the 30's at idle !! ;)
    Again it's the under load temp's that one would be concerned with.

14. Derrick

Derrick

Also note I said "Little bit"

15. Derrick

Derrick

any way... you didn't answer my question.....is your video cards power coming right off the power supply,,or do you have it being shared with somthing else?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice