1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LBWTFH, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LBWTFH

LBWTFH Thread Starter

i know i'm supposed to listen for a beep if my computer is gonna overheat, but is the beep supposed to come from the speakers or the tower?

i was playing fear and i got two beeps from the tower about 3mins apart from each other does that mean it was starting to overheat?

if it makes a difference i'm running amd 64bit 3000+/nvidia 128 gt/2gbs of ram/windows xp pro

oh and i also have the standard fans/heat sink taht goes onto the videocard/cpu but none on my ram and no case fan

2. GripS

GripS

is the system stable other then this beeping? Have you monitored the temps in the bios or by using a program such as motherboard monitor5?

AMD cpu's have a thermal trip where it will shut itself down if it gets too hot.

3. LBWTFH

LBWTFH Thread Starter

the system is stable i just looked at the temps in the bios and they are as follows

cpu temp = 32C
    m/b temp = 32C
    cpu fanspeed = 3443RPM
    xcpu target temp 72C

cpu fan speed warning 1200rpm
    chip fan speed warning enabled

those are checked though the bios

4. GripS

GripS

Please post the BIOS version and maker(ex. Award, AMI, etc..). Also are the beeps long or short?

5. LBWTFH

LBWTFH Thread Starter

the bios is version 1014 (the most recent for the mother board, i dont know the maker though does is help if i tell you it's an asus a8n-sli and if it doesn't how do i tell what the maker is

the beeps are short like not even half a second and they've never happened until i started playing this game, and they didn't start tell i was playing for a good 2 hours

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Run the gae for a while and check the temps again, those temps you posted are good temps, but under load with no fans I would say they get hotter.

Asus A8N-SLI was the info he was looking for by the way.

7. LBWTFH

LBWTFH Thread Starter

alright i think it's over heating, i ignored the beeps and after 3-4 beeps the system locks up

any suggestions on how i should cool this thing?

i'm thinking a case fan or two but since i'm a noob with hardware what do you think i should do?

oh and liquid cooling really isn't an option for me

8. frankjohn

frankjohn

Might try to clean cpu and re thermal paste

9. GripS

GripS

Ok. I've done a little reading about your board.

First off 2 short beeps indicates a problem with RAM. Let's get it out of the way by downloading memtest86(can be burned to CD if you don't have a floppy). Let it run for a couple of hours. This beep codes are often incorrect in pointing to the problem, but just to be sure.

Make sure a feature known as 'PegLink' is set to 'slow'. This is a automatic overclocking feature for your video card which seems to be enabled by default(bad ASUS..... BAD!!).

Try disabling Q-fan if you have it on. Read this page:http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=98&type=expert&pid=7

Just a couple of things to try. I hope it helps.

10. LBWTFH

LBWTFH Thread Starter

the cpu and thermal paste is clean

and i've only gotten the two beeps while palying fear, not when playing other high load games like americas army or doom 3

i'll try to figure out where the PegLink is

oh the beeps aren't right after each other they are a few minutes apart 3-15mins i've noticed

11. LBWTFH

LBWTFH Thread Starter

peg link didn't have an option for slow and it was set to automatic

so instead i changed it to normal

the options are

-auto
    -disable
    -normal
    -faster
    -fastest

12. LBWTFH

LBWTFH Thread Starter

i jsut tried mother board monitor 5 and it doesn't support my motherboard

only asus a7n series mine is an asus a8n-sli

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice