1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Small20, Mar 12, 2002.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Small20

Small20 Guest Thread Starter

Yesterday I was using my computer, doing nothing particularly processor-intensive (though I had had my computer on for three days straight :\). Suddenly, it rebooted. The tower simply restarted without warning. After about 5 minutes, it happened again. And again. And again. I just turned it off for an hour and waited. When I booted back up I saw the temprature was at 84 degrees - that seemed too hot so I shut down, opened up the case and let it sit till this morning. I booted back up and checked the temprature - 83 degrees. Could this be from a broken fan? Maybe just collection of dust? Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. brianF

brianF

Where are you monitoring this temp??
    Is that degrees F, not C

case temp????
    processor temp???

Anywho, 84 degrees F is not out of the ordinary and shouldn't be cause for alarm, generally my case runs around 84F and my processor is around 90F.

3. Small20

Thanks, I'm glad I dont have to be alarmed. I'm fairly sure it's my processor temp, and yes its in F. I was checking through SiSoft Sandra. Apparently not everybody thinks 84 degrees is okay - one person I thought to be reasonably computer-competent almost had a heart attack when I told him - I guess he hasn't checked his own temperature lately.

4. mtbird

mtbird

My computer runs at about 120 F without problems. You might want to keep an eye on your power supply. Reboots can be caused by a faulty or undersized PSU.

Debe

5. Small20

What could I do to keep my eye on it? My friend's PSU destroyed his entire computer pretty much - how much do they cost?

6. mtbird

mtbird

Well, if you continue to have problems, you could switch it out and see if it clears up.
    Here are two sites that I buy from.....
    www.savingxoom.com
    www.newegg.com
    Prices will depend on what kind you need.

7. Small20

Thanks yet again - how do I know what kind I need? I have a 1 ghz thunderbird.

8. mtbird

mtbird

I would suggest at least a 350 watt. Make sure that it says that it is AMD approved.

Debe

9. Small20

Does it matter what my other components are in my descision? (mobo, etc?)

10. mtbird

mtbird

11. max 8

max 8

You can even get away w/ a name brand 300watt psu.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/72357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice