1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overlaid or superimposed desktop icons

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by oscar51, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oscar51

oscar51 Thread Starter

Every now and then all my Win98SE desktop icons -- except Recycle Bin, My Computer, and IE -- are partially overlaid with another icon of some kind. Today it's a teddy bear. In the past it's been a computer monitor, a cross or plus sign, an arrow, or a few other things I can't remember. The original icon is still recognizable and usable and nothing else seems to go wrong. All my programs work and there are no slow downs or any strange messages.

These little extra superimposed icons are never there on startup and usually -- but not always -- appear after I run IE or some other M$ program or function. They go away after a restart. They also go away at random times when I click on my Show Desktop icon in the task bar. When that happens, all the icons are regenerated in their original form in some random order and the submenus in my Start menu are also regenerated when I run my mouse pointer up and down the list.

At one time I thought these extra icons were just a symbol for a shortcut, but now I'm not sure. Does anyone have an idea what they might be?

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Sounds like you have a corrupt ShellIconCache file

Go to start - find - files and search for and delete "ShellIconCache" - note there is no extension to this file.

Reboot and windows will generate a clean new ShellIconCache file

steam

3. oscar51

oscar51 Thread Starter

Thanks, steamwiz. That put the icons back into their proper configuration. This seems to be a recurring problem, so something is going amiss somwhere but I have no idea what. For now, I'll just do the ShellIconCache fix when it happens again.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

5. oscar51

oscar51 Thread Starter

Thanks, Dave. By selecting 2048 icons my ShellIconCache file size increased from 541Kb to 722Kb. I'll go with that for now and wait to see if the problem recurs. Hope not.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice