1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Override Domain Policy Disabled CD Rom Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MasterNe0, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

Hi,

Not sure if I am in the right section but I need to enable the cdrom drive for a window 7 desktop that joined to a domain which has a group policy to disabled the cd rom drive. However we need to enable the cdrom drive for a single user, is their a way to override the policy or add a exception to it so that it will allow us to enable the cdrom drive for that user and his desktop?

2. valis

valis Moderator

not sure I'm clear on this.....do all the other pc's on the domain have that enabled? Where did this machine come from? Has it been wiped prior to adding it to the domain?

3. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

Yea all the machine in the office has the cdrom disabled due to a domain policy we are required to enable due to auditors. However we need to override one of them as he needs the cdrom drive for something and I am trying to find a solution to enable it just for his machine. The machine already joined to the domain with this policy.

4. valis

valis Moderator

did you create the GPO? Better yet, you have access to do so?

5. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

We have access to the domain controller and the GPO. I am trying to see if their is a way to override this directly on the desktop itself rather then mess with the domain controller. However I am assume their no way around a policy that enforced on the server without modifying it.

6. valis

valis Moderator

7. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

Is this for a entire domain or just a single user. I cannot disable the cdrom drive for everyone in the office, just a single user I need to specify.

Is their a way to make a exception with this policy so it ignores a user.

8. valis

valis Moderator

from http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/151415-group-policy-apply-specific-user-group.html, may want to take a look there:

Local Group Policy Local Group Policy is the only local GPO that allows both computer configuration and user configuration settings to be applied to all users of the computer.
    Administrators and Non-Administrators local Group Policy Administrators and Non-Administrators local Group Policy contains only user configuration settings. This policy is applied based on whether the user account being used is a member of the local Administrators group.
    User-specific local Group Policy User-specific local Group Policy contains only user configuration settings. This policy is applied to individual users and groups.

These layers of local GPOs are processed in the following order: local Group Policy, Administrators and Non-Administrators local Group Policy, user-specific local Group Policy.

9. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

I see if that might work. Any on suggestions?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice