1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overwriting 98???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SteveR120, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteveR120

SteveR120 Thread Starter

I am asking this for a friend, I have XP Pro, they have 98, which I am not very familiar with. I have used my disks, XP Home and XP Pro to overwrite, which helped solve a number of problems in the past.

What I'd like to know is, can this be done with 98 as well? I am sorry I can't be detailed as to just what all their problems are as I really just don't know.

Appreciate your help!

Steve

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

3. SteveR120

SteveR120 Thread Starter

Thanks, Dave!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Steve:

Insert the Windows 98 CD in its drive. Once it activates, select to browse its contents so you can gain access to the files there. You will see a file that says WIN98. Copy it to the main C:\ directory in your computer. It is about 121 MB in size, so it will take a few minutes to copy. Once you do this, you can access the file anytime and without having to reinsert the CD. This comes in real handy when you do something that prompts you to insert the CD, and if you have to reinstall Windows 98 over itself(which is done by double-clicking the "Setup.exe" file in the WIN98 folder).

5. SteveR120

SteveR120 Thread Starter

Hey Frank! Thanks! Now this is one I never thought of before! I'll bet that this is something that one could use with more than just the Windows disks.

How's the weather down there? My brother is just above St. Aug. I'm gonna call him later. Hope you all fare well, and good luck!

Steve

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Having the WIN98 in the root directory saves wear-and-tear on the CD and makes it a lot quicker to access the Windows files, when needed.

We've had the first feeder bands come through with some wind and rain, but nothing serious yet. We're hoping this storm diminishes rapidly in strength before reaching the Tampa Bay area. It's been a rough 3 weeks for many people, and it's not over yet.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice