1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overwritten File Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AimShot, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AimShot

AimShot Thread Starter

I dont really know where this should be long but ill put it here.
    My OS is windows xp and ive recently overwritten an important file that i needed and i was wondering if there was a software or way to recover it. Ive tried some programs that recovered deleted files but they did not find my file that was overwritten.
    please someone help me. I havent restarted or turned off my computer if that helps.

2. Zbrakkovich

Zbrakkovich

What is the file that you need?

3. xponly

xponly

Hvae you deleted or overwritten a file? If you have overwritten a file, what type (ie, MS word, etc)?

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If the file was overwritten and you do not have it backed up on a thumb drive or other media then the only way to possibly get it back might be a professional recovery service. The normal free stuff that is used is not good enough to get a file back once it has been written over by another program. But there is one thing you might try and that is a system restore to several days before the file got overwritten.

5. AimShot

AimShot Thread Starter

u sure theres no other way?
    how can u get professional recovery service?

6. waggy19

waggy19

Hi there,
    Professional file recovery costs a fortune. The recovery would probably cost you somwhere in the region of £149.00-£2000.00 ( $290 - $4000) depending on the file size.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Professional software is not readily available to the general public for the obvious security reasons and also if it was then nobody would have need to use the recovery services for this. The best way to make sure this does not happen again in the future is a thing called backup your data to another media like CD-R or DVD. There is one thing you might be able to do but it is a real long shot. Most programs make a backup of sorts when you are working on a document and it is usually stored in a temp directory for that program and the temp directory might be listed in the properties for that program, if this is listed you might just be able to find the temp file and rename it and possibly get the data back. It might be there but if it is not then you are up the creak....

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Did you use a program to overwrite the file, or did you do a Save As with the same name as the important file? Or, copied on top of it? If it is the former, then you will most likely need professional services to attempt recovery.

If it is the latter, and you have not been actively running on that PC, recovery software may be able to find it.

What programs have you already tried?

ZAR
    PC Inspector
    GetDataBack
    Recuva

Note in order to truly try to guarantee recovery, you should be moving this disk into a second PC and then attempt recovery.

9. xponly

xponly

Aimshot,
    You still did not identify the file; however, I must tell you that some programs create backup temp files automatically that can be recovered if power is not removed from the PC. Oh well, good luck.

10. AimShot

AimShot Thread Starter

it is a dem file and it was overwritten by the program

11. managed

managed Allan

What program overwrote it ?

Come to that what exactly do you mean by overwrote ? Describe what you did.

The more info. you give us the better the chance of help.

12. AimShot

AimShot Thread Starter

alright its basicly a game demo file.
    its used to record the game play.
    the file is a .dem file
    it was named obis.dem and i accidently overwrote it by recording obis.dem again

13. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If you haven't been running other apps that have been creating/updating files, recovery programs may be able to find it. What you have done is "similar" to deleting the file.

14. AimShot

AimShot Thread Starter

what software do u recommend?

15. AQuickE

AQuickE Banned

That is not recoverable. You really should have provided that information up front so others could have weighed the importance of their time in helping you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686941