1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

overwritten files...can they be recovered?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PK-her0, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

Sep 17, 2007
    if you take folders with files in off a external hard drive
    and over write newer files on your computer hard drive
    can the new stuff be recovered in any way.

i know there are programs that recover lost/deleted files...
    but in this scenario?
  2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Nov 28, 2005
    There may still be hope. Windows may have reported it is replacing files but it may have saved the new files to a new location on the hard drive and marked the space used to store the old files as available for re-use. The less you save to the drive the better the chances of getting the old files back. Downloading and installing a suitable recovery program on another drive would be a safe way to proceed. I am not familiar enough with the different programs to recommend any particular one. Someone else here may have a recommendation for your particular case.

EDIT: I have used an older version of a free program called "PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery" to get back some deleted files from a friend's computer a while ago. Maybe the latest version will work for you.

3. Mumbodog

Oct 3, 2007
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914261